Edited contact being moved and training voice recognitionSupport

Last Updated:

1. jfunk

jfunk Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Two questions:

1. My contacts all come from Gmail (nothing else like Facebook syncing or anything). If I edit an existing contact on the phone sometimes (I think it's if I move them around in groups, like take them out of Favorites or something), they will no longer appear in the default "People" list. I can still find them with a search, but they don't appear in the list anymore. If I then go into Gmail, I will find that they are no longer listed under "My Contacts" but have moved to "Other Contacts". If I move them back to My Contacts, they show up in the default People list again. Any idea how to prevent that from happening?

2. My wife has a common name with a slightly uncommon spelling (by one letter). I cannot get the voice recognition to pick her up at all. I've tried deliberately over pronouncing the different letter, but it still won't pick her up. She won't even show up in the suggestion list. Is there any way to work around this besides deliberately misspelling her name in my contacts? Any way to add a "nickname" or something like that where I could put the common spelling?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

Advertisement
    njperry likes this.
  2. njperry

njperry Well-Known Member

This (#1) happened to me also! It was when I added a contact person to HTC's default group "Family". It was so frustrating! I tried searching several forums but could not really decide which search terms to use and never came up with anything useful. I tried removing the contact from the Family group, but it still did not show in the list. Eventually, I just deleted the contact and built it over again, this time I did not assign it to the HTC Family group. I do not think I will be using any of the HTC default groups and wish I could delete them.

I am still not clear as to the difference between adding a contact as a Google contact or as a "phone" contact. What's the diff? Don't they all sync to Google?

3. BHall11

BHall11 New Member

I've had the same problem. I was trying out the People widget and used the Favorites group, which I then added a few of my contacts to. When I then removed a contact from that favorite group, so they wouldn't show up in the widget, they are now gone from the regular People list. They are still in my contacts in gmail, but I have to go in an manually put them back into "My Contacts" to get them on the phone again. Why do they disappear when removing them from a group?

4. jfunk

Adding a person as a "phone" contact will make them only appear on your phone as far as I know, they won't sync with Google.

And just so you know in case you didn't catch it, you don't have to delete them and recreate them to get them back, just go into gmail and move them back from wherever they are into the "My Contacts" group and they will reappear in the list.

I've determined that it's definitely REMOVING them from a group that causes it (at least from the Favorites group). It doesn't seem to happen when you add them to a group. Not sure how to avoid it happening though.

5. BHall11

BHall11 New Member

I've tried it with other groups as well, even created a new group just to test it out. It seems that whenever I remove a contact from a group it disappears from the People list, which seems ridiculous.

6. jfunk

Shameless bump.

I'm guessing this is just a bug that would have to be fixed by a software update to the People app, but would certainly like to know if there are any out there that do not have this problem or know of a workaround.

7. edwardsdj

edwardsdj New Member

So I've just run into this problem as well. The short answer is that you can see the contact again if you select "Show auto Gmail contacts" under the View menu.

The problem is that when you put a contact into a group on the Incredible, it will remove it from "My Contacts" in Gmail (which is what is synced when the "Show auto Gmail contacts" is not checked). Unfortunately, when a person is removed from a group, they are not added back to the "My Contacts" group. You can see them again by adding checking the "Show auto Gmail contacts," but you will also see all the other junk that Gmail has auto added. Of course, the other option is just to go back to Gmail and fix it as you suggested.

So, to recap:

1. "All contacts" on the Incredible = All "My Contacts" in Gmail, if "Show auto Gmail contacts" IS NOT checked.

2. "All Contacts" on the Incredible = "All Contacts" in Gmail if "Show auto Gmail contacts" IS checked.

2. Adding someone to a group on the Incredible removes them from the "My Contacts" in Gmail and adds them to that group.

3. Unlike on the Incredible, adding someone to a group on Gmail DOES NOT remove them from "My Contacts."

4. Removing someone from a group on the Incredible WILL NOT add them back to "My Contacts." They are now in the standard bin labeled "All Contacts" in Gmail that is used for Gmail's auto-contact function.

Hope this helps clarify. I guess the only thing to do right now is to sync "All Contacts" from Gmail until they issue a software fix. It's a pain for me because I'm syncing Outlook with Gmail's My Contacts, and as soon as I group something on the Incredible (Favorite, Friends, Family, etc) it deletes it in Outlook because it no longer exists in My Contacts on Gmail.