editing apk files and reinstalling?General

Last Updated:

1. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

is this even possible on non rooted phones?
    i know on rooted phones you can go in and edit the png files in the .apk meaning you can change the icons for the apps and widgets etc. this caught my interest, being something that i could do as possibly an introduction into the developer side of the eris.
    just wanted to see if it would be possible to reinstall an edited apk file onto a non rooted phone

Advertisement
  2. Conap

Conap Well-Known Member

I have edited some png's like you mention for my rooted phone and they don't seem to install on my wife's non rooted eris so i'm thinking that it is because I sign them with test keys maybe....i am pretty new at this so not really sure...i have done a little googling on this subject but haven't found an answer but maybe someone can enlighten us here....

3. andrizoid

someone on here has posted a themed handcent pack. he mentioned editing the png files etc. he posted it on this section of the forum and it has been used by a bunch of users who i am assuming are non rooted. im waiting for a PM from him about how he did it now. if anyone has any other info on it though thatd be great.

im not extremely tech savvy but i would like to try and get involved, and this seemed like a pretty basic way to introduce myself to it all but i dont want to do all the work to edit the files if it turns out that i cannot install after.

4. andrizoid

come on. NOBODY has any ideas?

5. n1ghtwish

n1ghtwish Well-Known Member

If you're going to edit graphics in an apk package, you need to re-sign the package when you're done. to do this, you need the Java Development Kit installed on your computer, along with the Android SDK.

once you have those installed, do some research on signing apk files. it's not that difficult, you just need to create a keystore with some info and a password and you use that to sign the files.

the phone will NOT allow unsigned apk files to be installed, even if they're 3rd party.

also, be aware that if you edit a png file ending in "9.png", you will have issues with the app after re-installing. to edit these files, you need to define a stretchable region using a tool called draw9 (comes with SDK) and then you'll need to compile the edited files into an Android project using Eclipse (easiest way) and then re-add them to the apk and re-sign.

:)

6. andrizoid

ive had sdk tools installed and im familiar with how it works. i already have the linux version of the signing tool, and i knew about the 9.png files-being my first try at this ill probably leave them untouched. really i just needed to know if i would be able to install these edited files on my unrooted phone. thanks to the poster of the themed handcent apk i now know that i can! off to start my first adventure into the world of developing ;)

7. andrizoid

thanks though :D