• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Editing contacts on a PC

Styxx

Nov 5, 2010
Hi all,

I've been using mobile phones for about 11 years now. Over the years I've had a Nokia 3210, a Sony J5, another Nokia, 4 or 5 Sony Ericsson phones, a HTC Desire HD and now a HTC OneX+. The trouble with this is that my contacts have been bounced between phones with different contact formats, and they're a bit of a mess. Even after switching Facebook contacts off on my OX+ I find that some of my older contacts have 4 or 5 entries.

What I would like to do is bring up all my contacts on my PC so I can edit them using a mouse and keyboard, as editing over 2000 contacts (including the multiple duplicates, I'm not that popular!) by hand on the phone is a pretty labourious task. Is there a way I can do this? I realise that HTC Contacts will merge duplicates, but I'd rather get rid of them altogether. There's also some entries that only have an email address or multiple phone numbers that I'd like to ween out.

Export your contcts to a csv file. That's a text file, so you can edit it in Notepad but it's a special format so you can edit it in Excel also.

It might take a day or two, but you should be able to get things set up the way you think is "right". Then delete all your Google contacts, delete all the contacts in the phone, import the file to the phone and sync to Google.

There are probably a dozen other ways of doing it, but that's how I'd do it.

Reactions: Styxx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones