Eff you Motorola (What do do next for 2.2?)

Last Updated:

1. zane!

zane! Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know I'm in the same situation as a lot of other X owners who were holding out for the "Official" 2.2 update:

Rooted 2.1
    Custom Themes
    Bloatware frozen with Titaniumbackup
    Various other Root apps

Now that Moto is being Nazis with their 2.2 OTA update I don't want to deal with the hassle of having to wait for root on the official release or go through any other hassles.

I'm thinking I'll just update to a deo-dexed 2.2 version now. Then I'll wait to see if the OTA includes anything better, and if it does I'll wait until someone cracks it for root and hosts it online for a manual update. Am I thinking straight for this situation?

The main question- there are a few options I've seen for going to 2.2 right now. How should I go about it? I've seen different methods as far as what/how to back everything up, which versions to use, manual deo-dexing VS an already deo-dexed 2.2, etc.

TIA

Advertisement
  2. Dtatch

Dtatch Well-Known Member

Im taking the approach that your mentioned, waiting to see if there is enough reason to flash back to .604.

This should have everything your are looking for.

Droid X

zane! likes this.
  3. zane!

Thanks! I had briefly looked at that page before, but apparently they have pretty much everything I need. Right? Are there any other steps/files/backups I need to run?

4. BuTbKa

BuTbKa Well-Known Member

zane! likes this.
  5. zane!

Thanks for the root and backup info!

I'll probably tackle this on Monday, I'm leaving for a trip in a couple days and I really don't want to risk not having my phone running while I'm gone.

6. aflat

aflat Active Member

Make sure you move it to /system/xbin, not /ssytem/xbin. I know it's a typo, but I wanted to make sure it was clear.

zane! likes this.
  7. zane!

Finally.......

SUCCESS!

First I SBF'ed back to stock 2.1 to make sure my themes didn't mess anything up. Then I did everything outlined in these steps:

And finally I used LexusBrian400's build.prop file to fix the market issue and remove the stage fright hack, along with some other tweaks. I fought with ADB shell for a good 5 hours today, my PC was being extremely stubborn about the drivers so I broke down and bought the real Root Explorer to get the job done.

Thank you all for the great help!

8. zane!

Oh yeah, 1507 quadrant score. I'm happy. :D

9. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

Actually you don't have to move su anymore. Also I think the rom manager route is so much easier

10. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Well-Known Member

yeah rom manager is definetly the way to go as it comes pre-rooted. i remember on the day 2.2 was released everyone who had jumped in and grabbed koushs recovery was freaking out that they were stuck and couldnt get 2.2 going because of the hijacker and were all upset that they got it. koush posted like right away that d he d have it in rom manager that night so i waited and got it.

it took me all of 15 minutes while others spent much longer trying to move stuff around and lost root anyway

11. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

yep flashed the sbf 6 times that day

12. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

Now that's there's funny.
    You know its hard to get comedic timing right especially in text form but that one just seemed to hit me right. LMAO

It also shows you're good at repetitive task...more proof you're a bot if you ask me.

13. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

:p

14. zane!

I was considering the ROM manager route but the bootstrap route worked well for me. I just love how many options we have with these phones, but I love even more how helpful everyone is on this site (and the XDA site too, lots of good info there. and rootzwiki. and.....). Everyone is open about their mods and is willing to share their knowledge.

15. zane!

Finally updated my phone in my profile... I had still been showing to have a blackberry for the last 2 months. I'm slightly embarrassed.

16. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

Yeah I love it too, even that grouch Piiman
    I think the rom manager route was easiset though

17. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

GROUCH!?!! GROUCH!?!! Why yoouu SOB (Son of a Bot) LOL

BTW Bot's do not feel love.