• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Either There Is Something Wrong With My EVO Or I Got Real Lucky

bcalvanese

Jun 14, 2010
My exchange came in at the Sprint store yesterday morning, so I went and exchanged my phone for a new one. I had the light leak issue and the screen could be pushed in and out slightly. This new phone seems much better because the screen isn't sticking up above the beveled edge like the other one was.

I was worried that something else may be wrong, so I put the phone through all the motions, and everything seems to be fine so far. I just kept using all the functions until I ran the battery down to the point where the low battery warning came up.

I put the phone on the charger and charged it until the light turned green. I unplugged it late yesterday afternoon, and continued to use it for the rest of the day and night. I kept looking at the battery level and it did not budge from full for most of the night. I was beginning to worry that I was getting a false reading or something, because the phone I returned would have been half drained at this point. I didn't even change any of the settings to conserve battery life, because I wanted to see how long it would take to drain with all the features turned on. I did not have 4G, WiFi, or anything else that was not on by default, but I did not turn any default features off.

Finally the battery went down to about 90% by the time I went to bed at about 2:00 AM. This morning when I got up, it was still at about 90%. I have been using it today on and off, and it's still at about 75%.

I am going to keep using it until it drains all the way down again and see what happens, but I think there is something to be said about letting the battery drain completely before charging it.

My exchange came in at the Sprint store yesterday morning, so I went and exchanged my phone for a new one. I had the light leak issue and the screen could be pushed in and out slightly. This new phone seems much better because the screen isn't sticking up above the beveled edge like the other one was.

I was worried that something else may be wrong, so I put the phone through all the motions, and everything seems to be fine so far. I just kept using all the functions until I ran the battery down to the point where the low battery warning came up.

I put the phone on the charger and charged it until the light turned green. I unplugged it late yesterday afternoon, and continued to use it for the rest of the day and night. I kept looking at the battery level and it did not budge from full for most of the night. I was beginning to worry that I was getting a false reading or something, because the phone I returned would have been half drained at this point. I didn't even change any of the settings to conserve battery life, because I wanted to see how long it would take to drain with all the features turned on. I did not have 4G, WiFi, or anything else that was not on by default, but I did not turn any default features off.

Finally the battery went down to about 90% by the time I went to bed at about 2:00 AM. This morning when I got up, it was still at about 90%. I have been using it today on and off, and it's still at about 75%.

I am going to keep using it until it drains all the way down again and see what happens, but I think there is something to be said about letting the battery drain completely before charging it.
As long as you take your phone off of the charger when the light turned green, this is normal behavior and nothing surprising.

Upvote 0

did you go into settings to see how many hours you got out of it? and if so what did you get?

Upvote 0
as long you use your phone for text/phone only. you will get days out of your phone. once you start using the camera, data, surfing the internet. it will drain.

im at 1day 9hrs with 69% left. im only using it for text and phone calls. i send out about 150text and a few phone calls

wish that were true for mine.. but i still get 8 to 10 hours even with no usage and everything disabled :( but hopefully i'll be swapping it soon..

Upvote 0
as long you use your phone for text/phone only. you will get days out of your phone. once you start using the camera, data, surfing the internet. it will drain.

im at 1day 9hrs with 69% left. im only using it for text and phone calls. i send out about 150text and a few phone calls

No offense intended as I love my EVO, but why would you get this phone and not use it for anything but the phone and texts??

Upvote 0
I've found that battery life depends greatly on the signal strength to whatever radios you have enabled. Yes it's been said before that signal strength affects battery life, but what isn't usually said is how this affects you (you can't really control signal strength, right?).

The battery is bad?
A week ago my old router's wifi was dying. I couldn't get a signal even with my phone an inch away from the router. The next day, I started the day with a full charge. Two hours later, the battery was at 25%. I thought the battery was terrible and thought I might be returning the phone after all. I checked and it turned out I somehow enabled wifi, even though it wasn't working the day before. Apparently that had drained the phone, constantly trying to get an IP address (the old router would constantly say it had a signal, then drop, so the phone would keep connecting then disconnecting then trying again).

The battery is good?
I have 3G and wifi always turned on on the Evo, when I'm in my house. I get a strong 3G signal (full bars), and I get a strong wifi signal (also full bars) since I'm only 10-20 feet away from the router. I'm currently working from home, so I have done some tests and I can go over 2 days without charging, that's with at least 2 hours of internet usage a day (blogs, youtube, other embedded flash video). I'm scientifically using at least 2 hours, but no more than 2.5 hours of internet on the phone just to get some usable data. I would regularly go 20-30 minutes without a dropping even 1% in battery power. On standby, well with a strong signal, my battery doesn't go down at all for 6 hours straight. 12:00pm, 83%. 6:00pm, with only email check and texting for 3 minutes, still 83%. No my battery isn't giving me the wrong read outs because I continued to do my usual 2 hours of intensive use later on.

I also get 4G at home, but the signal goes from none to poor to fair (0, 1, 2 bars) depending on where I am in the house. My coffee table/couch area gets a fair signal, which drains the phone the least. I've used the internet there for 2 hours and the battery remained above 40% by the end of the day. If I try 4G in my bedroom, the signal is none or poor, which allows me to see the battery literally draining before my eyes (I use Battery Notif, which gives me a percentage on the notification bar).

My conclusion after 2 weeks of owning the Evo is that the battery is no better or worse than most Android phones, or the iphone 3GS. If you don't do much with the phone, and you have a good signal, the Evo can last for days. But if you have a weak signal, on whatever antenna you're using, then the battery will drain quickly.

So what you can take from this is that even if you turn off all the radios in your phone, save for CDMA which you need for phone calls, you can still drain your battery. A shame you can't make calls over 3G/4G or else that might be an option for those who get stronger signals. If you travel around a lot, you may think this doesn't apply to you since I'm doing these tests from home, but the take away is...

tl;dr
It's fine to use 4G, 3G, or wifi. As long as you have a good signal, the battery drain will be minimal. 4G takes more than 3G or wifi, but let me put it this way: I used wifi and 3G on a strong signal and my battery didn't go down a single percent over the course of 30 minutes. The Evo's battery is fine and you should see very little drain if you have strong signals.

Upvote 0
I think letting the battery drain completely before charging makes it more efficient.

It does say this in the manual...

Completely drain the battery before recharging. It may take one to four days to completely drain.

I read a post somewhere about charging the battery, then turning the phone off, then plugging the charger in until the light turned green, then unplugging and plugging back into the charger 10 times.

Maybe that is another way of doing the same thing as letting it completely drain before charging it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones