elegant way to edit Dictionary.cpp (the default phone dictionary)?Support

Last Updated:

1. jasondammit

jasondammit New Member

i have browsed the forum for a few hours, and not found exactly what i was looking for... so i figured i would start a new thread. if this has already been answered, well awesome, please point me where to read :)

i am trying to find an elegant way to edit the phone's DEFAULT dictionary. as many posters have complained, i am sick and tired of crap suggestions from the factory word bank. apparently the file in need of editing is dictionary.cpp, and i gather that it is an SQL DB of words the phone uses to suggest.

has anybody found a way to edit this file? an ap? a utility i can use when my phone is tethered? ANYTHING? i would love to delete a few dozen useless proper nouns or non-words that are in there for some reason, as well as add my own.

as a stop-gap effort, i have tried using the User Dictionary Updater (userdictionaryupdater - Updates your user dictionary with custom words from a file - Google Project Hosting), to at least put in my custom words after defaulting the dictionary... but it doesn't work for some reason :<

any help would be greatly appreciated :3

2. Fany123

Fany123 New Member

Any luck Jasondammit? I've spent about an 1.5 hours googling and searching this site (as well as many others) with no luck. I'd love a way to edit the stock/default dictionary, or at the very least a chance to delete entries I don't want.

There are tons of people talking about how to delete words from the USER dictionary (ie, words you have added yourself) but nothing I've found referencing how to do what we're looking for. :(

I don't care if it's from the phone, done with an app, or accomplished by editing a file while tethered to my pc- just want to be able to remove troublesome entries like "Getty", "Vertu" and "LSAT".
  3. moespeeds

moespeeds Well-Known Member

Anyone else figure this out?