Elelinux problems

Last Updated:

1. Faqade

Faqade Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi :) I started off on VillainRom12, then a few days ago I moved onto FroydVillain 1.5 then I thought I'd try Elelinux. At the very beginning after install it was pretty good like but then I started to experience serious lag so tried a full wipe again and fresh install of Elelinux. Same problem again, started off nicely then quickly went downhill :( One of the biggest issues on mine now is some major lag, opening programs takes a loooong time, sometimes not even opening, after unlocking last night LauncherPro decided to move the message widget to another screen lol, the phone/dialer app takes agggeesss to open, it doesn't like dialing numbers or answering calls, the list goes on and tbh it's making the phone unusable now :(

LauncherPro is up to date, I've only got a handful of programs installed and tweaked the settings as to put less strain on the phone (window animations, etc), it's a shame really because I like Elelinux it's just I seem to be having loads of problems with it, I've had to remove the battery twice because the phone has frozen, first time this has ever happened with my Hero.

Woah, seems like a whiney post, sorry haha :) I'm just wondering if anyone else has had any similar problems with Elelinux? Seems to be quite popular now and I can see why because it's a really nice ROM, just confused as to why my Hero is rejecting it :D I thought it could be LauncherPro but it's lagging badly in other areas, settings etc.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. nedamdam

nedamdam Well-Known Member

Well *#*#4636#*#* in a phone app (if you have dialer one go with call after you type it) . And search whats been eating your CPU. Even though those spikes might not be detectable. And you would need a watcher program for that. Install also system panel lite and look on the CPU usage on apps if there isnt something constantly running and eating too much of CPU.

Btw this happens are on my rom as well. (What I suspect is the keyboard or touch input. Maybe even swype but thats just my suspicion and I was till now ALWAYS WRONG :p ) But this is the same on Froyd too.

many reasons:
    1. some process sometimes starts and the phone freezes.
    2. It can be even an combination of CPU not overclocking meaning you are doing task on the default min freq which I think is the 376 something like that. This happened to me few times that my hero locked on the minimum freq.
    3. Some of your apps, widgets can use up too much resources and the hero needs time to free them. But cant since you are already trying to run another process

So first of all. Install something with which you can regulate the profiles. SetCpu, CpuSpeed etc

Then go to the *#*#4636#*#* and there is battery history, usage history believe and look whats happening there. if there isnt some program you think shouldnt be running so much or getting soo much CPU time etc.

I started writing this believing that your hero is normal and with use it gets laggy. But right now its always laggy even after a reboot? .

If thats the case. Could you install appbrain sync it and show us all what you have installed? Might give us a clue :) .

Install also system panel lite and look on the CPU usage on apps if there isnt something constantly running and eating too much of CPU.

And did you try on the original elelinux thread on xda? :D (or the swedish one :p)

And to the tweaked settings. Some of them could probably cause this. Try to enable/disable JIT. Try to install a different kernel. There are million posibilities :p what you could do :D

Faqade likes this.
  3. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I have heard of this before. But I have no idea why it happens to some people on Elelinux.

Faqade likes this.
  4. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

I think it's something to do with the launcher; not Launcher Pro specifically as I've experienced it once with ADW Launcher since the last wipe/flash , and restarting ADW (from its own menu) immediately cured the problem. Some users have suggested that the auto-rotate settings may have a bearing, so if you currently have it on try it off.... or vice versa. It's one of those infuriating issues that only affects some handsets, pointing to some unknown combination of circumstances being the cause. :confused:

Faqade likes this.
  5. nedamdam

HA, well you know that I had problem with it and I think I put here the pic about the sensor issue :p . Which was cured by elelinux and alankila driver :p . So maybe the alankila could work for him also if its the rotate.

As you say some handsets. Well mine always thought its not even. So when on table it sometimes changed to landscape sometimes didnt and sometimes there and back. So I had to manually adjust the offsets. Maybe that could be some similarity. :D (but then again you had it too once you said and your heros sensor is ok?)

Faqade likes this.
  6. Faqade

Thanks for all the replies everyone, much appreciated. In response to the settings, when I install a new ROM I always switch animations off, auto rotate off, auto brightness off, etc, so to not add too much load on the phone so it runs a bit smoother, this didn't help in this case. On the CPU side of things, nothing was really eating a lot of CPU, I don't tend to have loads of apps installed tbh and couldn't see anything using up much CPU.

@nedamdam, yeh after a reboot it was ok for a little bit then it would start again and quickly go downhill. Installed apps was minimal, just the regular Elelinux apps included in the ROM, LauncherPro+, WordUp and Bebbled. Second install was clean, regular Elelinux and nothing I had installed. Enabling/disabling JIT didn't have much effect either :(

@Slug, yeh I did think it might have been LauncherPro+ but after numerous restarts it would start to go downhill quickly again, even tried reinstalling LauncherPro+ completely, no luck. Auto-rotate and things like that were off.

I've gone back to Froyd 1.5 now, pretty happy with it but still going to look around and see what the problem was with Elelinux because it seemed like a really nice ROM, hopefully find what was up with my install and try again soon. Thanks for the help :)

7. mez

mez Well-Known Member

I've been using ele 1.7 and now 1.9 and I do get some lag which a restart usually sorta. Now I restart once a day. I don't have thelauncher installed. I reverted to the stock android which I prefer to adw and launcher pro etc

8. marco712

marco712 Well-Known Member

Wow, I thought I was the only one. I went from ele 1.7 -->1.8 --> 1.9
    I found that in general the speed of the ROM's slowed down. On 1.7 I would get linpack scores of 4.8-5.0. Now on 1.9 I only get 2.8.

Also my launcher has been freezing too. So today what I did was I wiped everything, then went back to Ele 1.7, everything is good and smooth again, no FC's or lags or freezes =)

Solved the problem!

9. nedamdam

Well I am kinda not sure. But didn't the kernel change to flykernel10a in some of those versions? So maybe you had some other one in the backup.

I have lag with the brain **** version :p

10. Slug

v1.9 ships with FlyKernel-10a, whereas previous versions used -10.

With regard to the lower performance of v1.9 vs v1.7.... was JIT enabled? It's off by default in v1.9.

11. Faqade

Yeh I tried JIT enabled and disabled, not much difference tbh, oh well Froyd it is for now! :)

12. Xyro

In theory JIT should make a significant difference. It's the reason google touted 2.2 as so much faster.

It pretty much doubles my linpak scores, for example. So I would definitely recommend having it on.

13. mez

mez Well-Known Member

ive switched back to ele 1.7, i started getting more and more lag and force closes in apps.

14. Slug

I'm in the opposite camp... v1.9 is noticeably better than previous versions on my handset. I've not experienced the "launcher lag" again in two days, and no FCs since installing. I'm almost content.... ;)

15. Xyro

But it never lasts, does it?

It wont be long until you have to try out a new version/ROM.

16. Slug

That's the trouble... you always have the nagging doubt that something "better" is just around the corner. It's geek OCD, that's what it is! :eek:

17. nedamdam

18. Slug

Just downloaded it this minute. :D Off now to do the mandatory nandroid backup and update my app backups before giving it a whirl.

19. nedamdam

lol :D I downloaded it on my PC, but the wifi file explorer wotn work... has to download it again on the hero :p . And then the same process. Report your findings :p

20. Xyro

This is elelinux? Why isn't it 2.0 :S

I mean, I know he says it's 'just a detour', but what's different?

21. nedamdam

No idea , has the newest CM I guess. and the black mod looks bad :( And I neeeeed my 140 DPI :p , the home almost scared me like this :p 6x5 ftw!

22. Slug

Wow! :D

That has to be the least-painful update to a ROM ever.... everything is back just as I left it pre-flash. I only wiped the dalvik (as recommended) and nothing needed reconfiguring. Wifi APs, home theme, custom shortcuts.... everything persisted. All apps found and seem to function, even the Market. Joel has just updated Titanium Backup and added Dropbox support too - it's like Xmas! :D

I presume because it's not enough of an update over v1.9.

Apart from the rather kewl SE theme? It's based on the most recent CM6 source, and has compiled Erasmux's scheduler tweaks into FlyKernel-10a. Even with Astro, Facebook, Twitter etc added again with the update I'm seeing 2MB more available on /data than pre-update, so some additional optimisation has gone on somewhere.

23. nedamdam

Seriously, I wants the black mod back... Regardless this,.. I lost 30 percent battery while flashing and backing up.... AND the battery is hotter...

:( Not yet seeing any improvement . RATHER then the cool widgets adding :p Meaning from one program I dont have thousands of widgets availaible but have to touch it :D that rocks :p

24. Slug

Why not try flashing BlackMod_v1.9 over this one? I suspect it'll be compatible, and even if it's not.... well, that's why God invented Nandroid. ;)

I quite like the SE theme, and it fits in pretty well with my monochrome ADW theme and icons.

I hadn't found that until you mentioned it - I bet that's something that becomes standard as it's so much more user-friendly. I'm not expecting any major performance improvements as I was already running the same tweaks on the -10a kernel, but I love Ele's work (and his attitude!) so I'm happy to try whatever he throws at us. Good or bad, user feedback can only help with future development.

25. nedamdam

Hmm, so the blackmod breaks the widgets :( . Since at work have not much more time to test this little better :) . Will see later :p