Ello from Kentucky.

Last Updated:

1. etneri

etneri New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm currently a fan of the G1. I am currently a shadow user though, i am contemplating over whether to buy the G1, a Blackberry Storm, or an iphone. Can anyone help me in this rigorous decision making process?:D

Advertisement
  2. decodergrizzly

decodergrizzly Member

Depends on what kind of user you are, but i can help you eliminate the BB Storm from the process right off the bat :)
    I also had the shadow before my G1 so I can relate. Ultimately I would advise doing as much research online as possible into all three platforms and then definitely handling them all in person before you make a decision. If you have to decide whether or not to leave your Tmobile contract, then definitely go with the G1 because I think it's better than the other two.

3. karuzo

karuzo Member

Each phone is different and has its advantages and dis-advantages. Although I am not familiar with the i-phone I'll try to bring an opinion mostly based on online research I did, not in any certain order.
    Also, I may be wrong on some of my assumptions, but here goes:
    Popularity at the moment is still in favor of the i-phone (per statistics I read just after the G1 was released) as it is already in a progressed and I guess stable (?) stage, followed by the G1 and then storm. However, the G1 is already at a point where it took the iphone some time to get to. Its development is progressing fast.
    I will get the iphone only for the great games you can have on it, as I prefer not to carry more than one device on me (i.e. phone and psp or ds). However, great commercial games for the G1 WILL follow.
    Up until the G1 came out I owned a blackberry curve (for only 3 months), and paid full retail price to switch, mainly to have a seamless use/sync of my email, contacts, and calender between the phone and the desktop.
    Although until recently the blackberry was a business minded device it surpasses both iphone AND G1 in terms of navigation and functionality (although not for long - the G1 WILL catch on). It was amazing how easy it was to do things on the curve with one hand, same one holding the phone (!). I am not sure how it is with the storm, but I've seen mixed reviews on it, mostly summarizing that the storm was expected to be more than what it is.
    The G1 currently has the limit of installing applications only to its internal memory, unlike a palm where you can install applications on its expension card. With G1's internal memory of less than 200mb you would fill it up pretty quickly. However, this is only a matter of time until you'll be able to install onto the expansion card. Currently the G1's state is a little bit premature, but you can consider it as 'beta', and Google is about to release an update to improve some of its functionality (and will release more as necessary). One of the griefs of the G1 at the moment is errors in syncing data between the phone and gmail, but I have not experienced it to an annoying state as of yet. Rest assured this will be fixed. The other grief is the battery - lasting only 8 hours or so with standard usage. However, a rumor is going on the T-mobile is issuing an extended battery to all G1 owners for free which will extend its charge by 15%-20%.
    Last, although the G1 looks a little bulky to some, I love its looks and mostly the track ball integrated.
    All in all, the G1 as a PHONE has its limits, as the phone is NOT the best, and w/o flash. It does not have a dedicated (standard) jack for an ear-piece. You listen to music through the charging connection, or the mono speaker. However, the G1 is the first device to bring the most promising mobile operating system, the Android. If you can wait a bit, the G2 is not that far (so I've heard), and I believe its specifications will be more appealing.

P.s. - almost forgot about online experience on the phones. Currently the iphone is the king. However, you cannot view flash on it (or on any other device as far as I know). The Android will have flash support soon enough.

Hope I helped some,
    Doron

4. N473

N473 Member

... all you need to know is that Android is the future of cell phones(and/or other open OS handsets). So either get the G1, "G2" if that does come out any time soon, or any of the other Android phones that are coming to market soon. DO NOT GET AN IPHONE. Apple is the devil. They try to sell you overpriced pieces at a time, as they have for decades. That's the reason windows took over.