• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Email account ?

can you confirm you incomign and outgoing server settings for the Road runner account please

I don't have a RR account. I have only setup my Hotmail, and Verizon accounts...both thru the auto setup via K-9 Mail. I was only prompted for email address and password.

Are you connecting via WiFi or 3G? Wifi may give you some issues. I had problems setting up my Verizon, but because I was using wrong password (email address used for login on another site and I was using it).

Upvote 0
connection through 3G and not recieving or seeing any messages go out from this. Getting frustrated

I'm not sure where you are in the process.

- Is the account even setup?
- Are you trying with the K-9 app or Droid built-in?
- If K-9, are you using the beta or the full release?
- If K-9, are you entering only email address and password, then clicking "Next"?

If you are entering or configuring anything more, you're making it too hard on yourself.

If everything seems configured, and you have a RR account/Inbox, with the K-9, you have to configure your "2nd class" folders to be visible, or easier, "All Folders", along with allowing them to synch. That will allow you to see Outbox, Trash, Sent folders, after activity with those folders from the phone, and a sync cycle.

Upvote 0
its an email account i've had for many years. Which K-9 client should i have? i got the one that came up when searching K9 on marketplace. I'd really like to use the default mail application to set this up but i cant get either to work. Can someone give me a complete walk through on setting this up.

Upvote 0
its an email account i've had for many years. Which K-9 client should i have? i got the one that came up when searching K9 on marketplace. I'd really like to use the default mail application to set this up but i cant get either to work. Can someone give me a complete walk through on setting this up.

There were (2) K-9 mail apps that came up in the search. You "DON'T" want the one with "Beta" attached to it.

Step 1 - Open K-9 mail app
Step 2 - Press the DROID dedicated "Menu" key (the one with the 4 lines)
Step 3 - press "Add account" from the pop-up window
Step 4 - Enter email address and password in the respective fields
Step 5 - Click Next

It should take care of all your settings. But again, where are you in the process? Do you have an Inbox created with the RR email address, or are you still getting errors on setup? If so, just delete and start over.

RR is a cable company account? Do you have extra accounts you can create? If so, mind making one for me to test? Just don't give me any main account permissions.

Upvote 0
i'm using the full version and this is what i'm doing

Enter this account's email address

jdoe@cinci.rr.com

Password

xxxxx

Then i hit next > then POP3

Username
jdoe

password
xxxxx

pop3 server
pop-server.cinci.rr.com

security type
none

port 110

Hit next and does a chekcing incoming server settings and goes to outgoing server settings

SMTP server
smpt-server.cinci.rr.com

security type
none

port 25

Hit next and checks outgoing server settings then takes me to a screen asking about:

Folder check frequency

Number of messages to display

etc

Do all that and hit next and it says

"Your account is set up and mail is on its way"

Give the account a name
Road Runner email

Type your name

Hit Done and it takes me to a inbox type thing that has a button for Load up to 25 more

Upvote 0
Delete the entire account, and use the steps I listed. You really should only enter your email and password, nothing else. Don't use the manual process.

Comcast allows me to create 5 or 10 email accounts...do you know if RR offers the same? You'll probably have to log in if you're not sure and "manage your profile". I was just suggesting to make a temp one for me, unless you want me to try as you, and change the password later. I really prefer the K-9 to the default Droid however...especially coming from a BBerry type phone. But both setup processes are essentially the same...just address and password.

Upvote 0
yes RR lets you have more than one but this email account is old from when i lived with the parents and my mom has the master account and i have no idea how to go back and make new accounts much less here account name to do so. my RR account worked flawlessly on my BB storm. The droid not so much

Upvote 0
yes RR lets you have more than one but this email account is old from when i lived with the parents and my mom has the master account and i have no idea how to go back and make new accounts much less here account name to do so. my RR account worked flawlessly on my BB storm. The droid not so much

If you really want to get this working, and have me log in as you, shoot me a PM with your number. But you really shouldn't have to do more than enter your username and password, then click "Next". Don't use the manual setup. If your account is "established", just delete it, and start again.

PM me if you don't have another email to "Receive a test".

Upvote 0
nothing against you and i do appreciate the help but i'd rather not have you log in as me. I have deleteed and reinstalled several times. Anymore and i may end up throwing my phone out the window

HOLD ON! Barbara (thanks again) set me up with an account. Some providers use the full email address as the "Username". She set me up as coinago (lol again). It looks like they don't have a profile for RR, so they do make you confirm the server settings. I left everything at default, and got an invalid username/password error. I re-entered the username as coinago@(whatever the rest is). And now I'm logged in.

Send me a test.

Upvote 0
from the default mail client this is exactly what my screen looks like on my phone

Incoming server settings

Username
jdoe@cinci.rr.com

Password

POP3 server
pop-server.cinci.rr.com

Port

Security type
None

Delete mail from server
when i delete from inbox

This settings are ok'd when i hit next

Outgoing server settings

SMTP server
smtp-server.cinci.rr.com

Port

Security type
None

Require a sign in (i have this box unchecked)

hit next and it checks outgoing server settings just fine

Now i go into m inbox for this account on my phone and hit Refresh under the menu button

Then a yellow box pops up saying Connection error

If i try to send a message i get same error and the message just sents in my outbox and never gets sent

Upvote 0
I'm using K-9, but under incoming POP3 server, there is a difference. I have:

mail.cinci.rr.com

I can't see Outgoing settings, but delete whatever account you have in K-9, and start fresh. If you haven't noticed, if you go to "accounts", you can "press and hold" the account to bring up options.

Enter email address, password, then click "next". It will probably fail, with username/pwd error. Re-enter username only with the:

jdoe@cinci.rr.com

...then click next.

I was up and running right away...less trouble than I had with my verizon account. Hang in there...it'll be worth it.

Upvote 0
have tried sending and recieving emails from that RR account? I can get it setup but once i try to send or recieve i get errors in both default and K9.

And why cant you see your outgiong settings? My comes up as soon as i enter the incoming server settings and hit next.

RR mail is POP3 is it not?

Upvote 0
have tried sending and recieving emails from that RR account? I can get it setup but once i try to send or recieve i get errors in both default and K9.

And why cant you see your outgiong settings? My comes up as soon as i enter the incoming server settings and hit next.

It is pop3. I set up one of my accounts and tested the send and receive. Both worked on 3G. I deleted it from K9 and set up the same account in the default app. I tested send and receive and both worked.

Upvote 0
You mention that its not the primary account, is it possible that rr is justt not allowing your account to log in in this manner?

Also, rr frequently blocks access to its outgoing servers from non-rr IP addresses. This explains why it worked from your mom's wifi. When you connected to it

They do block outgoing but not incoming. But if you put in the entire email address as user name, I think that allows it.

Upvote 0

There are more settings, such as the server name, which aren't displayed.

As far as blocking, the RR account Barbara created for me worked better than my 2 personal acconts I set up this morning (@hotmail.com, and @verizon.net). For whatever reason, my other folders weren't showing, only my inbox. I had to make settings changes to show "All Folders". With the RR account, with everything at default, once the account was created, I had Inbox, the rest came on there own a few minutes later. The only thing I notice is that the message "From" the K-9 account appears to come in Plain Text vs. HTML. I have to look into it more. Also not sure if K-9 works via WiFi...not enough sleep this week to think correctly.

Upvote 0
There are more settings, such as the server name, which aren't displayed.

As far as blocking, the RR account Barbara created for me worked better than my 2 personal acconts I set up this morning (@hotmail.com, and @verizon.net). For whatever reason, my other folders weren't showing, only my inbox. I had to make settings changes to show "All Folders". With the RR account, with everything at default, once the account was created, I had Inbox, the rest came on there own a few minutes later. The only thing I notice is that the message "From" the K-9 account appears to come in Plain Text vs. HTML. I have to look into it more. Also not sure if K-9 works via WiFi...not enough sleep this week to think correctly.

Does this mean I have to let you keep it? LOL!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones