email and led lightsSupport

Last Updated:

1. JGut

JGut Active Member This Topic's Starter

on the motorola droid I have the sound and vibration both off for receiving emails into my multiple accounts. I figured, like with my previous blackberry, it would turn the green led light on the upper right corner a red color when a new email arrived, but it does not. is there any way to have it flash it a different color when a new mail arrives?

Advertisement
  2. zcar.300

zcar.300 Member

I would like to know this as well.

3. Teufel Hunden

Teufel Hunden Active Member

I have no idea, but really hope it is possible to edit these setting through an app like BB alerts.

4. rawness

rawness Well-Known Member

hmm, mine only flashes green when there is a notification. If there is no notification, then there is no light flashing.

5. JGut

mine as well, but it sometimes flashes green and tells me in the notification area that there are new emails, when in fact there arent. any fix for this?

6. zcar.300

zcar.300 Member

I found a program that changes the led for some things. But as far as I can tell it wont change it for emails. It's called missed call.

7. JGut

tech support at both motorola and verizon was no help. anyone else with this issue

8. poconojohn

poconojohn New Member

I went from a Blackberry to the Droid and miss the led change so let me know I have an email. This can't be that hard to program.
    I'm also have a problem when I charge my phone. The phone tries to compose a text message. It opens the virtual keyboard and starts typing away. My phone is possessed! I have to lock the phn first to charge...and it is still trying to unlock the phone. Has anyone come across this problem?

9. NajinX

NajinX Member

Yeah, this is a pretty huge need for me. I use the phone for work as well and need to know at a glance if I have work mail. I hope something is implemented to cover email soon.

10. poconojohn

poconojohn New Member

I have noticed a little envelope emblem on the top left of the phone when I receive an email. That and the little Droid voice if I have the sound activated are the only way to know other than actually checking every time.

11. Shiggs

Shiggs Active Member

I get LED notifications, just go into whichever app you want notifications for an check the settings. I have my Gmail to vibrate and notify via the LED. Unfortunately the LED on this thing sucks compared to the Curve 8330 I came from. That LED would blind you!

12. poconojohn

poconojohn New Member

Yeah, I could light a flare with the LED on my Blackberry!
    Shiggs, I'm only seeing three options for email notification settings: Notify in status bar, Select ringtone, and Vibrate when an email arrives. I'm not seeing any LED option.

13. Shiggs

Shiggs Active Member

You are right that was google voice with the notify option. I swear I get LED for gmail though.. I will have to play aound with it an let you know.

14. druss2001

druss2001 Member

After struggling with Motorola tech support, the tech told me that the green LED is for notifications (which everyone has pointed out) and the red LED lights up when you have 5% or less of battery power left. These are two physically different LED and not the same one which just changed colors.

15. JGut

still doesnt help and my LED and email notification line go off randomly whether I have a new email or not. very annoying to say the least.

16. Shiggs

Shiggs Active Member

I get blue for facebook

17. Legacystar

Legacystar Well-Known Member

if you use mobile msn messenger you can change the led color to blue magenta yellow green red cyan

18. dlrooney

dlrooney Active Member

I get green led for email and text messages and blue for facebook messages. I have also noticed red when the battery is low.

19. dlrooney

dlrooney Active Member

Not sure about the gmail thing. I had to go into my facebook settings on pc and activate fb mobile. After that I updated my notifications to receive an sms text on certain actions. Hope it helps.

20. dlrooney

dlrooney Active Member

now you have to go into the fb settings on the phone and enable the Phone LED. It is off by default :cool:

21. dlrooney

dlrooney Active Member

I have noticed two things with FB. When I receive any kind of notification or message it will appear as a text along with a greed led. When I receive a private message it will appear as an FB email notification along with a blue led. Have someone send you a private message and see what happens...

22. JGut

how did we get on facebook? this is about email and LED. start a new thread for facebook please

23. scheng12

scheng12 Well-Known Member

The LED thing would have to be built into the Gmail app or the Email app I believe. It's complicated to write an app that accesses the Gmail app and does something based on it so it would have to be up to Verizon or Moto to decide whether or not to implement this. Handcent SMS allows you to change the LED color for texts so it can obviously be done, but that is a full on SMS app. It seems like someone would have to write a full Email app in order to customize the email LED

24. JGut

it seems like a 5 second piece of code. when new email arrives = turn led light red or pink, or whatever. simple as anything

25. scheng12

scheng12 Well-Known Member

Well it would be that easy provided that Google wrote the code for it. It is a little frustrating some of the little things they left out but it is easily patchable. What I was saying is that it would be hard to write a third party app to do that for Gmail