• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help email and led lights

JGut

Nov 7, 2009
on the motorola droid I have the sound and vibration both off for receiving emails into my multiple accounts. I figured, like with my previous blackberry, it would turn the green led light on the upper right corner a red color when a new email arrived, but it does not. is there any way to have it flash it a different color when a new mail arrives?

I went from a Blackberry to the Droid and miss the led change so let me know I have an email. This can't be that hard to program.
I'm also have a problem when I charge my phone. The phone tries to compose a text message. It opens the virtual keyboard and starts typing away. My phone is possessed! I have to lock the phn first to charge...and it is still trying to unlock the phone. Has anyone come across this problem?

Upvote 0
Yeah, I could light a flare with the LED on my Blackberry!
Shiggs, I'm only seeing three options for email notification settings: Notify in status bar, Select ringtone, and Vibrate when an email arrives. I'm not seeing any LED option.

You are right that was google voice with the notify option. I swear I get LED for gmail though.. I will have to play aound with it an let you know.

Upvote 0
After struggling with Motorola tech support, the tech told me that the green LED is for notifications (which everyone has pointed out) and the red LED lights up when you have 5% or less of battery power left. These are two physically different LED and not the same one which just changed colors.
still doesnt help and my LED and email notification line go off randomly whether I have a new email or not. very annoying to say the least.

Upvote 0
sorry should have mentioned I already changed that feature and still nothing.

I guess what I'm not understanding is my BBerry would convert incoming updates to actual FB updates in my inbox....so far the droid just shows them as emails OR texts..which sucks.....is this a limitation of the FB app, or are you guys getting updates to your phone actually labeled as FB updates?

I have noticed two things with FB. When I receive any kind of notification or message it will appear as a text along with a greed led. When I receive a private message it will appear as an FB email notification along with a blue led. Have someone send you a private message and see what happens...

Upvote 0
The LED thing would have to be built into the Gmail app or the Email app I believe. It's complicated to write an app that accesses the Gmail app and does something based on it so it would have to be up to Verizon or Moto to decide whether or not to implement this. Handcent SMS allows you to change the LED color for texts so it can obviously be done, but that is a full on SMS app. It seems like someone would have to write a full Email app in order to customize the email LED

Upvote 0
The LED thing would have to be built into the Gmail app or the Email app I believe. It's complicated to write an app that accesses the Gmail app and does something based on it so it would have to be up to Verizon or Moto to decide whether or not to implement this. Handcent SMS allows you to change the LED color for texts so it can obviously be done, but that is a full on SMS app. It seems like someone would have to write a full Email app in order to customize the email LED
it seems like a 5 second piece of code. when new email arrives = turn led light red or pink, or whatever. simple as anything

Upvote 0
it seems like a 5 second piece of code. when new email arrives = turn led light red or pink, or whatever. simple as anything

Well it would be that easy provided that Google wrote the code for it. It is a little frustrating some of the little things they left out but it is easily patchable. What I was saying is that it would be hard to write a third party app to do that for Gmail

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones