email and text ringtones

Last Updated:

1. Douglas Hughes

Douglas Hughes Member This Topic's Starter

I have never posted on a site like this so I am not sure I am doing it correctly. But I have a droid and have added my own sounds for ringtones and can get them to work on the phone side but not for email notification or text notices. Am I stuck with the stock sounds for email and text?

Advertisement
  2. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member

Welcome to Android Forums!! :) Your post was moved to the Motorola Droid Forum to getter better answered. Please feel free to stop by the introduction section and say Hi when you get a chance!! :)

3. Douglas Hughes

never used a site like this, how do I find the Droid forum.

4. Keyser-Soze

Keyser-Soze Well-Known Member

you've found it! or at least your thread did. At the bottomish part of the main page there are several columns of links to specific phones.

There are lots of tutorials/guides to adding alerts/ringtones etc.

What I did was connect my droid to my pc via the usb cable; pull down the notifications window and select mount usb. Then I created a folder on my droid called media, within which I created folders named Alarms, Notifications, and Ringtones. I sorted my various custom-made mp3s into the appropriate folders.

After unmounting droid will automatically find the new files, and they'll be accessible via the email settings, e.g.

5. CatsTide

CatsTide Well-Known Member

download "rings extended" from the market

6. aileendq

aileendq Well-Known Member

I highly recommend creating your own ringtone, notification, and alert folders, etc. I have mine parsed out that way.

You can also create your own ringtones by downloading Ringdroid and cropping the section of the file you want as the ringtone.

Note that it won't work on WAV files, though.

Welcome!

7. Keyser-Soze

Keyser-Soze Well-Known Member

You can also use audacity to create and crop ringtones on a pc. it's free and easy to use. You can edit any kind of sound file and export it to mp3

8. Douglas Hughes

Thank you both! I did it the way big droid said because I was already half way done, but greatly appreciate the help. Also the way it was explained. I have never had much luck with tech but this phone has been great! And with the help here, WOW! Thanks again, hope I can return the favor.

9. daddio

daddio Member

Okay. I think of this as a half answer. You say, "Do this or that." and then take it for granted that everybody who reads it will say, "Oh sure, I'll just do that.". What you need to think about is that most of the people asking these questions have just goten their phone and haven't got a single clue about how to do what you've suggested as if everyone was an expert user. My suggestion is that once you say do this or that, you give a little tutorial on how exactly you do this or that.

You said, "I highly recommend creating your own ringtone, notification, and alert folders, etc. I have mine parsed out that way." So now I am the newbie and I wonder well just how do you do this? How do you create these folders and where in the world do you create them in the first place? Where do you open the place in the phone where you will create these new files? And then when you say that's how you have your's parsed, 99% of us say, "What in the hell is a parse?". I hope you understand what I'm saying. It's not enough to just say what you think or what you've done. Explain it to us in a way that a newbie would understand easily.

Thanks

10. daddio

daddio Member

I plugged my Eris into my laptop with the USB cable. It showed up, but when I click on it to access any files it says, "Insert a disk into _ Drive". Do I have to remove my SD card and insert it into the card reader in order to do these things or what?

11. shemaur

shemaur New Member

Totally agree with daddio. I got my phone YESTERDAY so have no clue what parse and all that is. Can someone explain it as if I were a 3 year old (well maybe not quite that way) :eek:)