Email app and downloading emails questionGeneral

Last Updated:

1. mrkjamesbb

mrkjamesbb Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I set my gmail account with the email icon/app on my home screen. I did it with the POP/IMPAP option because the other one wouldn't work (don't know what either of those mean).

My problem is I can't get it to download my emails by itself. I have to go in and refresh. I have set it to check every 5mins and to alert me but it just wont unless I refresh. I'm assuming there's somthing I'm missing.

Also, I just discovered there's a gmail app in that list that gets the emails instantly. It will make a sound with a new email, but I have to go to that list then to the gmail app to check.

What I want is to be notified of my emails and have some icon be it the email one or the gmail one on my home page that lets me know I have an email.

The other thing is the youtube app, but its seems lots of people are having that trouble.

Also, how do I sync access my gmail contacts on my phone on either the gmail app or the email app. I can't see contacts on either right now.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. mrkjamesbb

Can no one help me figure out why my email app won't download my emails by itself? :)

3. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

If you are talking about the email account that you used to set up the phone then you want to use the gmail app and not the mail app. The gmail app will be instant push email for your phone.

As for icons that show up on your home screen, those actually show up in the notification bar at the top of the display. It should be a little @ symbol on the left telling you that you have new mail. You can pull that bar down like a window shade and view the number of emails there. Clicking/touching on the icon in the "shade" will access you gmail account on the phone and let you read your mail or you can just select the gmail app and view it that way.

Your contacts will sync with your gmail account and show up in the people app on your phone. If you go to Settings > Data Synchronization > Google you will find all the options for syncing with your google accounts. Just check which ones you want.

4. mrkjamesbb

Thanks for the reply. That seems to work fine. I guess the mail app on my home page is obsolete. Why would I go into the mail app and hit refresh when I get instant emails through the gmail app?

5. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

If you were using an Exchange account with the mail app, you would get push mail to the device. Also, of course, people have mail accounts other than gmail accounts, so the mail app at least lets you get the mail there. Finally, in case you are interested in this functionality, the People app can associate mail sent between you and your contacts from mail that is downloaded through the mail app, but not through the gmail app.

6. mrkjamesbb

Yeah I would like to use the mail app as I have another email account. I just couldn't figure out why it wouldn't download my emails every five mins like I set it to. I had to refresh to download emails.

7. melis0682

melis0682 New Member

How do I add a second gmail account?