• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Email app + hotmail issues

knar

Lurker
Nov 16, 2011
IT support for a large company here,
We have many of our users android phones consuming HUGE amounts of data per day (on average 2.5-3.5GB per day)

There were no 3rd party applications installed on the phones in question just the default ones that shipped with the phones.

The only common factor in all the issues is that they all had a hotmail account configured on the phone in the default android application.
I have searched google but cannot find any hard evidence of a link between the two but I figure one of you on here might know or have seen this issue before :)

Here are some of the phones and the version of android
Nexus S on 2.3.6
LG Optimus 2x on 2.2
Nexus one on 2.3.4, 2.2
Motorola XT720 on 2.1
HTC Panache on 2.2

All were set to check for new emails every 15 minutes and used pop3.live.com on port 995.

Also, most of the email accounts had alot of emails in them (over 1500) but total size was never more than 350MB

Thanks!!

IT support for a large company here,
We have many of our users android phones consuming HUGE amounts of data per day (on average 2.5-3.5GB per day)

There were no 3rd party applications installed on the phones in question just the default ones that shipped with the phones.

The only common factor in all the issues is that they all had a hotmail account configured on the phone in the default android application.
I have searched google but cannot find any hard evidence of a link between the two but I figure one of you on here might know or have seen this issue before :)

Here are some of the phones and the version of android
Nexus S on 2.3.6
LG Optimus 2x on 2.2
Nexus one on 2.3.4, 2.2
Motorola XT720 on 2.1
HTC Panache on 2.2

All were set to check for new emails every 15 minutes and used pop3.live.com on port 995.

Also, most of the email accounts had alot of emails in them (over 1500) but total size was never more than 350MB

Thanks!!

I would download a hotmail app from microsoft. Its new and doesnt use that much data. You can have access to your folders too

Upvote 0
I added Hotmail to the stock email app on my LG Optimus (stock Android 2.2) phone many months ago. (FYI: I use that same Hotmail account on Outlook to sync email, contacts, & calendar with my phone.) I've got unlimited data on Sprint so I don't know for sure that it's not using a lot of data/bandwidth, but there's no indication that it is. And I've even set it to push email instantly (not just check every 15 minutes).

Since Android's built-in ActiveSync works nicely with Hotmail (essentially acting like an Exchange Server) I'd recommend that you don't access Hotmail through POP. Instead of using pop3.live.com on port 995, use m.hotmail.com. Try setting up the accounts using these instructions (but skip the first part about downloading the worthless Hotmail app) and go directly to the "Instructions for default mail client". Not sure if that will solve the data problem, but it might. And it will let your crew better sync their Hotmail-based email, contacts, & calendar if they like.

Please come back and let us know if that helps or if you find another solution.

By the way... How do you know how much data they're using?

Upvote 0
I have recently experienced this problem.

I downloaded the Hotmail by Windows app onto my HTC Desire Z sometime in the middle of October.

Since that date, whenever it was set to sync, it began downloading ALL emails from all of my folders, including any attachments.

By the first week of November, I received a text message from my provider saying that I have exceeded my 1GB limit.

When I called my provider, they confirmed that I have actually used up 6.5 GB of data!!!

When I checked my data usage, every morning at 7am, it was downloading up to 700MB of things into my phone.

When I took the memory card out of my phone, in a folder named Mail, there were email attachments all the way from 2003!

Unbeknownst to me, the Hotmail App had downloaded every photo, song, powerpoint presentation... that I have ever received.

My phone bill spiked to $460 because of this!!! I am super pissed at this Hotmail app!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones