Email attached .ods spreadsheet - how to view?

1. Shootr

Shootr Well-Known Member

How do you view an attached spreadsheet in an email?

I only have OpenOffice.org Calc to try and figure it out, but when I receive the email, it won't let me "click" on the attachment to recognize it/open it.

I downloaded Documents to Go (menu doesn't llist any email program to open) and Spread Sheet Lite (can't "find" the file) but don't know how to find the email/open the attachment.

Help???

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

While OpenOffice is a GREAT solution for those that can't afford MS Office, it does have one small "gotcha". Out of the box, OpenOffice sets it's default file extensions as OpenOffice files (DoH!) ... and not MS Office file extensions. What you should do is change these default file extensions so that DocumentsToGo can open them, as well as anyone else trying to view them in Microsoft Office.

Here's what you do:
    1. Open OpenOffice (any program in the suite)
    2. At the top, go to Tools > Options
    3. Click the + sign next to Load/Save
    4. Click on General
    5. At the bottom of that window, you'll see two small windows "Document Type" and "Always Save As"
    6. For "Text Documents" you want to Always save as "Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP"
    7. For "Spreadsheets", you want to Always save as "Microsoft Excel 97/2000/XP"
    8. And lastly, for "Presentations" you want to Always save as "Microsoft Powerpoint 97/2000/XP"

For documents that you've already created in OpenOffice, you just need to open them in OpenOffice and perform a "Save As" and change the "Save as type" window to match the Microsoft settings I gave you in the list above. In other words, change that OpenOffice.org Calc file to be a Microsoft Excel 97/2000/XP file. Make sense?

From this point forward, now your OpenOffice documents will open in DocumentsToGo and be truly MS Office compatible. Hope this helps. :)
  3. Shootr

Shootr Well-Known Member

"Hope this helps"??? DUDE - YOU ROCK!!! That worked like a charm, I appreciate your detailed assistance and how quickly you had this figured out. Thanks again!