email attachements - opening and saving to SD cardSupport

Last Updated:

1. davidedlman

davidedlman Member This Topic's Starter

hi everyone,
    sometime I want to open the attachements from e-mails in my e-mail account (not Gmail) the phone is not able do that sometime depending on the type of attachement...(*.jpg is fine, XLS, DOC and PDF are fine, but for example *.pps can be opened some time and next time not and the system tries to open it with the media player instead of Documents to Go - of course it allerts the error).
    Next problem - where are those attachements automatically saved (if even) after opening (can be some file manualy chosen?)...There is no option what to do with the attachements and where to save them in email account?
    some ideas, thank you a lot!
    David

Advertisement
  2. MiniDroid

MiniDroid Well-Known Member

I guess that this is some of what will be fixed in the upcoming Android 2.1 release for the phone. It should've been out the doors by now, but according to SE it will start distribute this in the end of October.

If you can't wait - or the update don't fix this, others might know of alternative apps that can do what you need it to do.

An alternative is to take the road down the root way.
    It might get you some settings that's not open in the default firmware.
    I don't have any information on this other than to head over to the xda-developers forum and check what they've got.

Take a look here for the firmware update post from SE
    Update on Updates | Product Launch Blog

davidedlman likes this.
  3. rawly

rawly Member

Interesting thread! As only last night I was using the built in GMail App and one of the PDF's which was around 2M in size would not open. There were two other PDF's which opened fine.

I then downloaded a free PDF viewer, but then realised I was actually unable to separate the attachment from GMail and save it, so that I could then open it with the 3rd party PDF reader.

Odd, you can't Save attachments. Very odd indeed. Not sure why this would be an Android issue though? Surely the GMail App should have the option to "Save Attachment" irrespective of the OS version ?

4. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

Just as added suggestions you could try Handcent SMS which I have found to work better than the stock app at some things, and I have heard that it helps on the mini's with saving files from attachments.

You could also download a file manager such as Astro or Linda to the find the saved file on your SD card.

The large ones come with OfficeSuite included but I believe you can download it for the minis from

2010 August | Product Launch Blog

Hope it helps.

5. davidedlman

thank for suggestions - I am already using Handcent and it works with MMS attachements...
    but my thread concerned the e-mail attachements that sometimes can be opened but other time not...and I do not know where and if could be downloaded...
    thank for any other ideas.
    David

6. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

Sorry misunderstood original query! Have you tried a third party email app? I use k-9 but you either love it or hate it. The other one I have heard good things about is Mail Droid. Maybe these give better functionality over attachments.

7. aaarjun

aaarjun Member

Guys,

See if this helps... My friend had send me an .apk file which i could not download as there is no option to download in Gmail App...

So i zipped it and send again... when i previewed the zip file, i could save the file... it got saved in /sdcard/download which i could unzip and use it through Astro..

8. davidedlman

thanks a lot, I will try both e-mail apps and see if it helps to solve my problem...!