Email count and lock screen on Galaxy S3Support

1. rstaco

rstaco Member

I have a Galaxy S3, only a few months old. In the last week or so, it has started to exhibit a few strange behaviors:

1. Unread email count: on the stock android email client, I have 3 IMAP email accounts registered. The Email icon on the home screen has a red circle that is supposed to show the number of unread email addresses across all accounts. Up until the last week or so, it worked fine. Now, the email count is stuck at "4" regardless of how many unread email messages there are.

2. Lock screen. I have the system set to return to lock screen after 30 secs of inactivity. However, over the last few days, I've noticed that the lock screen does not activate.

I know these are relatively minor issues, but am concerned that is something wrong causing them that could develop into larger problems.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong and/or how to fix?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog VIP Member

Hello and welcome to the forums :) We're glad you're here.

When is the last time you turned off the phone and let it reboot? sounds like it needs to clean out some cache.
    funkylogik and ocnbrze like this.
  3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

welcome to AF!!!!!!!!!!!

i moved you to the s3 forum where folks who have your phone might be able to help you out better.

to add to what argedion has said, maybe you can go into your phone settings and then to manage apps and clear cache for your email app.

as far as your lockscreen, maybe a soft reset like argedion is suggesting might help.
    funkylogik likes this.
  4. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Have you had a firmware (operating system software) update just before you noticed these changes man?
    ocnbrze likes this.
  5. rstaco

rstaco Member

Thanks everyone for the kind welcome to the forum.

I think I solved the lock screen issue - have Google Voice installed and recently set it to "ask me each time I make a call whether to use Google Voice". I changed it back to "use Google Voice only for International calls" and that seemed to take away the screen lock issue.

Still need to figure out the email issue. In response to q's:

-no recent firmware update
    -first fix I tried was to reboot the phone, but that did not seem to help the email problem
    -I also went into the App Manager and cleared the RAM; no help for email problem
    -just cleared the cache in the email program as ocnbrze suggested, then rebooted; did not help email problem. [not sure if this is what you meant, but went to App Manager / Running Processes / email and hit "clear cache" There was an option to clear data, but did not want to do that since I assume it would wipe out sent emails and other stuff I want to keep]

Any other things I should try?

Thanks again.
  6. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

Try going to settings, application manager, all, BadgeProvide and clear data, then reboot. If that doesn't work you'll have to try clearing data for the email client. It won't delete any of your emails, it'll just remove the accounts so when you add the accounts again everything will be add it was.
    ocnbrze likes this.
  7. rstaco

rstaco Member

Many thanks. Clearing data in BadgeProvider worked. I'll have to read up on what BadgeProvider does so I know when to go there in the future if any issues come up.

Last quick question - is there a way to get Gmail to show the little red circle with number of unread messages on the icon?
  8. Shotgun84

BadgeProvider basically controls your notifications for messages, emails and calls, etc.

I'm not sure if the stock email app shows the number of messages on the icon. Well it never has on mine. I think you'd have to use a third party email client.
  9. rstaco

rstaco Member

OK, thanks for the info.
  10. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

Third party launchers such as Nova Prime have this feature.
  11. Dolley

Dolley New Member

Thank you so much Shotgun..! I have been worrying over this issue, and finally the badger thing worked.

Thanks again!
  12. Shotgun84

No problem Dolley and welcome to the forum:wavey: