Email forwarding from hotmail to gmailSupport

Last Updated:

1. Demonhotrod

Demonhotrod Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Heya guys and gals
    So i've set my gmail account to receive emails sent to my hotmail account, so that I only have one email application running on my phone rather than two, which I thought was fairly logical.

Im having a small problem though, the inbox gets the emails perfectly fine but when I choose to reply to a message that has been sent to my hotmail address it changes the "From:" to my gmail email address rather than the hotmail one that the email was originally sent to (does that make sense?).

When I look at the emails on my computer, gmail gives me the option to change the address from which it is sent from (and i've changed the settings in gmail to "Reply from the same address to which the message was sent") but on my phone there doesn't seem to be either options.

Am I missing something or is it an option that just isn't available in the phone version of gmail yet?

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

No, I don't think there's an option to do that. Nor will it acknowledge the option to reply via the address a message was sent to, as you found out. I run the same setup as you and this has always bothered me.

If you only ever send via your hotmail account, you set that as the default address on the PC interface. That will cause your phone's gmail app to always send via your hotmail account. You just can't have both.

In the end I settled for this method: I made a second gmail account, set it up again to send/receive as my non-gmail account by default and then added it to the phone. That way I can send emails via both of my addresses if I need to. I turned off auto-sync for the new gmail address, as all of my emails will still be going to my primary gmail address.

3. Demonhotrod

Hmmm
    Thanks for that, interesting way to get around the problem, I think im going to have to consider having a similar setup to what you have described, for myself. Bit annoying that the phone 'version' isn't able to change the sender addresses but I suppose we can't have everything eh :)

Quick question before I get the chance to check it on my phone for myself, but if I create a second gmail account and add it to my phone, what happens when I press the "Gmail" app shortcut that I have on my homescreen? Does it give me a choice of which inbox to view? Or do both accounts appear combined within the app?

Might be a silly question but meh *shrugs*
    Haha

4. Xyro

It keeps them separate :) So apart from when you're planning on sending via hotmail, you won't really know it's there.

You can switch between them by clicking on your email address at the top left or by hitting Menu >> Accounts. When you send an email you can pick which account to send from.

The only downfall I've found so far is that emails won't be going into your main gmail's sent folder when using this method. I'm that's something than can be worked round too though.

5. Xyro

From here
    :D

6. mnsingman

mnsingman New Member

This forwarding process works well. It worked on my wifes Fascinate and the Droid X. It allows you to access all of your hotmail folders except the junk mail. I can live with that for right now. The only drawback is that anything deleted from gmail or hotmail isn't automatically deleted from both. The Droid X is a little trickier typing with bigger fingers, but everyday gets a little easier and faster.

7. Demonhotrod

Sorry to bump an old thread but I thought I should just let everyone know that in the new Gmail update (2.3.2) they have added the ability to send email from your phone from any email address setup with your gmail account

Huzzah!

It's basically the same as on the computer where you have a drop down box and you can change which email address you want to send from. Google were clearly listening and watching to what we were saying! :p

Looks like you'll be able to switch to a single mail box from now on Xyro ;)

8. Xyro

Yeah, it's much better now :)

It was a odd coincidence that they announced the feature just 5 days after we mentioned it :p