Email from Verizon suggesting Advanced Task Killer App

Last Updated:

1. SinfulDragon

SinfulDragon Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone else get this email that is leading you to download the Advanced Task Killer App?

From all the bad things I've heard of task killers it surprises me (but probably shouldn't) that VZW would be pushing it.

Advertisement
  2. ssantan2

ssantan2 Well-Known Member

its a good task killer, as far as task killers go and its free. I used it for a while cause it came stock on my phone (verizon put it there) but now im task killer/manager free and I am loving every minute of it

3. brnr17

brnr17 Well-Known Member

your phone came with it installed? mine sure didnt, i have verizon also. i thought they all shipped with the same software installed?

4. ssantan2

ssantan2 Well-Known Member

I got it on launch day in the store. They set everything up for me, my google account and preinstalled some apps on there. task killer free was one of them. When I exchanged it (because that one started crackling through headphones) I went to the store and they gave me a new one but without the extra apps on there so I am assuming it was a launch day thing but idk

5. brnr17

brnr17 Well-Known Member

ohhh i see. I just got one from verizon telling me to schedule a meeting with a verizon rep who will show me how to use my smarphone blah blah blah, blah blah blah. Nothing really important in there.

6. Bramsy

Bramsy Well-Known Member

me got that too today

7. Siz3.thr33

Siz3.thr33 Member

Employees at the store probably put it on for him during setup to give him a glance at how to use the phone. mine was shipped too and it didnt come with it

8. nycebo

nycebo Well-Known Member

geez....task killers just AREN'T needed on this phone, guys.

9. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

I agree that active task killers aren't needed. But there will be occasions that badly written apps bork your phone, and you'll need to kill them. I just use the built-in task manager in Home++ to kill any badly behaving apps as needed.

10. esocid

esocid Well-Known Member

I got mine through best buy on release day and the guy just activated it, didn't install anything. I hate when people do that.

11. randomwyteboy

randomwyteboy Member

I have noticed the task killer has made my battery last MUCH longer, before it would be around 60% when i get home from school, now its around 90% at the same time.

12. Trident

Trident VIP Member VIP Member

Verizon also installed ATK on my Droid on the date of purchase. After doing alittle research, I found out that preformance is actually better without the app.

13. admorris

admorris Well-Known Member

People, do your own research instead of just listening to crap on the net. Task managers are absolutely needed on the Droid...this thing crawls after 20 minutes without it...you can easily see the evidence by looking at the available RAM. I have my task manager set to auto kill apps every 30 mins and it makes a HUGE difference in both battery life and speed. In theory the phone is suppose to kill apps as needed, in reality it just doesn't happen.

14. VtotheZ

VtotheZ Well-Known Member

Please give me a logical reason why a Task Killer is a bad option for your phone. When honestly it can save LOTS of battery life when using a task killer. Thats the main reason why I use. YES WE ALL KNOW the droid is meant to multitask, but take some of those tasks away and I guarantee my battery will last longer than yours...

I think if you wanna have a longer battery life throughout the day then use one.

15. tjbugs1

tjbugs1 Well-Known Member

I fell the same way

16. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

Agreed as well.

I did not get the email, though

17. rdillz

rdillz Well-Known Member

100% correct! Advanced Task Manager has been needed since the day the G1 came out and its no different with the Droid. Funny, I've only seen this debated here on this forum, (a ridiculous debate I might add), but thats been common knowledge for over a year now. Its not news. And just plain common sense period!

18. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I am soooo glad to see that not everyone has bought into the false hype that an Android phone does NOT need a task killer. :) Yes, the Android o/s is good at resource management ... but my DROID works better/faster/snappier AFTER I kill the list of tasks with ATK. Period!

19. brad03

brad03 Member

Well, one of the things people complain about with ATK is that while its running, the notification bar, home screens, etc are laggier. But really, this isn't a very valid complaint, as all you need to do is check the box for ATK to kill itself when you kill all, so I mean in reality there is almost no down side to this app at all. I have done quite a bit of testing with it as far as overall lag goes, and the only time it is slowed (and this is a very minor slow down) is when its active in the background.

In short, apps, active or in background, use resources. Resources use the battery. Therefor Apps use up battery life, even in the background. ATK ends apps, thus ending their usage of resources, thus extending your battery life.

20. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I was with you all the way, until the second paragraph. :eek: I would argue that (inactive) apps residing in memory use up no more battery than when that memory is vacant.

But frankly, I can careless about battery life. I want performance. And using ATK helps my DROID perform better. Period.

21. El Blacksheep

El Blacksheep Well-Known Member

Haven't we had this discussion already? Some people like them, some people don't, both sides are happy, lets just agree to disagree.

What I find funny is how VZW tries to push ATK on everyone whether they want it or not. I went into a store to complain about a few dropped calls at work. They explain it's an issue with the tower and reprogram my phone to access a different one. Afterwards...

VZW: By the way, do you use a task killer?
    Me: No (I resist the urge to explain why they're not necessary)
    VZW: Oh they're good cause they keep your memory free.
    Me: Oh (Again, I just let them think they know what they're talking about)
    VZW: Almost done setting you up, you shouldn't have dropped calls anymore
    Me: Good, thank you
    *a few minutes later*
    VZW: Here I downloaded ATK for you. Look at how easy it is to close your apps.
    Me: ... ok... thanks.
    VZW: Have a nice day!

I then walk out of the store, get in my car, uninstall ATK and drive off.

22. nycebo

nycebo Well-Known Member

Of course, there's always this wonderful FAQ (posted already in a another thread on this forum) to dissuade the task killer lovers out there. I can understand the logic of wanting to see exactly which processes are running, but otherwise, don't forget that people felt really comfortable believing the earth was flat also.

23. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Wait. What are you saying, the earth isn't flat?

24. nycebo

nycebo Well-Known Member

:-D

Maybe that was a bit over the top, especially considering some recent information I just discovered online.

25. AndroidsOfTara

AndroidsOfTara Well-Known Member

I think the VZW techs have been trained to push the task killer because it's easier than trying to actually diagnose what's wrong with a phone. Just like rebooting a Windows machine to 'fix' a problem. Most of us here probably know far more about these phones than the VZW store techs do.

I found a task killer absolutely essential when I had the Eris, but I only very rarely use one on my Droid. I think that Android 2.x does a much better job of memory housekeeping than 1.x.

I use the paid Advanced Task Manager and find it works very well when I need it.