• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Email / Gmail duplicate on the HTC Incredible

ansorensen

Lurker
May 8, 2010
I've just got the incredible, and I'm a little confused at the email set up. I have it synced to my gmail account, but apparently, the email screen extension of the home page doesn't work unless I also set up my gmail as a regular mail account... the problem being that once I set up my gmail as both the gmail account and the regular mail account, I get two notifications every time I receive an email (which aside from being annoying is potentially more battery draining).

Is there any way to be access the gmail account from the email screen (as opposed to just using the gmail app), but without having the double notification?

I've just got the incredible, and I'm a little confused at the email set up. I have it synced to my gmail account, but apparently, the email screen extension of the home page doesn't work unless I also set up my gmail as a regular mail account... the problem being that once I set up my gmail as both the gmail account and the regular mail account, I get two notifications every time I receive an email (which aside from being annoying is potentially more battery draining).

Is there any way to be access the gmail account from the email screen (as opposed to just using the gmail app), but without having the double notification?
Welcome the the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:

move to incredible forum ....

Upvote 0
I had the same issue, but after a few days it started to clear the notification of a new email for the gmail app when i opened my gmail from the "mail" app or vice versa.

That still doesn't stop the two notifications (ringtone, vibration, etc) and the only way I have been able to is to go into the "mail" app, hit the menu key, choose settings, and choose delete account. Then I am left with the original gmail app that I started with when I set the phone up.

There doesn't seem to be an option to delete the gmail account in the gmail app, but there is however a way to silence the original gmail app.
Just open the app and choose menu>settings>uncheck "email notifications"

Upvote 0
Hi guys, actually, you CAN delete or edit your account. Once you get into your gmail account via the app, do menu>accounts>menu>account settings. You'll then have the option to set background data syncing, auto sync, and manage accounts. If you select under manage accounts your gmail account, this will then take you to sync cal, sync contacts, sync gmail. you can REMOVE account on the bottom of the screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones