Email issue. HelpSupport

Last Updated:

1. tonloc_45371

tonloc_45371 Active Member This Topic's Starter

As of yesterday my email force closes when I go to open the emails or compose a new one. This is happening on the three email accounts I have set up. 2 are personnel road runner accounts and one is a work account. They appear to sync ok and go out and get new emails. I just cant open them. Any assistance is appreciated.

Note: Had Droid since day one hour one and this is my first real issue....

Advertisement
  2. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

Which program are you using to access your email, the stock email program or something like k9 mail?

3. tonloc_45371

I am using the stock program. This has worked flawlessly since I got the droid.

4. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

If it were me, I would first try deleting the accounts and re-adding them. Actually I would delete the accounts, install K9 mail and add the accounts in there but that's because I already use K9 mail. The stock program didn't let me set signatures.

5. tonloc_45371

Ended up having to do my first hard reset. Fixed the issue. I was amazed that I was able to resync all my contacts and apps from the gmail google sync. Awesome. I thought I would lose everything.

6. Inphosys

Inphosys Well-Known Member

Hey there -

It looks like you've probably got yourself back on the high road ... The same thing happened to me with my Exchange account. It was the only account I had setup and I was using the stock Email app. The app would continue to sync and download my messages, but if I tried to open a message the app would force close on me.

I tried deleting the account and rea-adding it ... with no luck. So I hard reset my phone and had everything set back up in about 30 minutes.

The good news is ... I have reproduced the problem and I think I can tell you why it happens. I had my Droid in Airplane Mode, because I was on a flight over the holidays to go to see my family. I accidentally opened the Email app, but then closed it. Once I got to my destination and turned airplane mode off, Emails started coming in. I tried to open one and that's when the Forced Close started happening.

After I finished setting it back up I figured I would test it again to see what actually caused the problem. I turned airplane mode back on, then opened the Email app. Shut the Droid down, booted it back up, turned airplane mode off. Went to open my emails and the Forced Close started happening again.

So now, I make sure whenever I turn airplane mode on I make sure to stay as far away from the Email app as I can.

7. tonloc_45371

Wow thanks. You should report to motorolla or verizon

8. cranky_dan

cranky_dan Well-Known Member

I had this exact issue today. With suspiciously similar circumstances.

Did a hard reset, and all is well. Except I'm currently *still* rebuilding my phone...ringtones, desktops, and such. Should have read thru the "before you reset" threads *first.*

Sigh.

But I did learn about K9 mail from this thread, so all is not lost. Thanks Barbara!