• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Email Issues with native email program. 4.2.2 update

So I just recently got the 4.2.2 upgrade, do I did not do a master reset. I contemplated doing it but not till I'm near a strong internet connection. My wifi here is very slow so downloading all my apps would take FOREVER! Anyways.

I noticed after the update I wasn't getting my email notifications. So I opened the email client and did a refresh and it just showed the same emails in there. I have a Gmail account and my ME (apple) account. Well I don't use Gmail that much so I figured ok, that's normal. But my ME account gets mail daily. Hadn't seen anything in a couple of days so I checked in to iCloud on my PC and wham, 16 emails I didn't get on my tablet.

After trying a few more refreshes, I deleted the account and went to set it back up. Everything I've done has not worked. The best I got was I managed to get through the incoming mail server to get to the SMTP settings. Basically, every time I do a manual setup for IMAP, it tells me either the server isn't responding or it couldn't verify my info. Here's how I've tried setting it up.

IMAP (Incoming Mail Server) information:

Server name: imap.mail.me.com
SSL Required: Yes
Port: 993
Username: example@me.com (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account)
Password: Your iCloud password
SMTP (outgoing mail server) information:

Server name: smtp.mail.me.com
SSL Required: Yes
Port: 587
SMTP Authentication Required: Yes
Username: example@me.com (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account)
Password: Your iCloud password

This is from Apple. I see some people said to try SSL with accepting all certificates or use TSL. I've tried all and I get stuck at the incoming server more often than anything. Like there's some firewall blocking it all of a sudden. And no, I don't have a firewall running on my router.

Anyone else have this problem?

I, too, have this problem after the update 4.2.2 on my Galaxy Tab. I did the same steps you did, and my tablet appears to not be able to communicate to the server. All of my other devices, including my not-updated Galaxy S3 phone still talk to icloud mail from my same home network. No solution so far.

Great. Way to go, Samsung. :( It sucks because I now have to use Auquamail to get my messages from the apple account. I guess they must have crippled IMAP on it maybe? Who knows.

Upvote 0
I downloaded MailDroid, and that seems to work with all my mail accounts.

I know I could get another app, like I did with Auquamail, but the point was I didn't want to have to use other apps for it. I guess though since the native app didn't have great IMAP support anyways then it's not so bad. Auqua is ok. I'll survive though.

Now I'm wondering what else got borked with the update.

Upvote 0
I was having trouble syncing my mail as well. I finally figured out sync was disabled.

pull down the Notification shade at the top of the screen and make sure sync is turned on.

They problem isn't with sync, that's on and hasn't been turned off unless I turn it off. The problem is that the Email client no longer works with Apple mail.

Maybe I didn't explain it right.

Upvote 0
The link below states your username should not include the @me.com, just the name that precedes it:

How To Fix "Login to server imap.mail.me.com failed" Issues on Postbox or Thunderbird - HighTechDad

I've tried this, it doesn't work. I keep getting the error that it can't connect to the server.

Yes, my internet is working, yes my Gmail works fine in the program. Also, I'm not using a PC, I'm using an Android device. So maybe an article referring to the SPECIFIC issue would help and not one with Thunderbird?

Upvote 0
I've tried this, it doesn't work. I keep getting the error that it can't connect to the server.

Yes, my internet is working, yes my Gmail works fine in the program. Also, I'm not using a PC, I'm using an Android device. So maybe an article referring to the SPECIFIC issue would help and not one with Thunderbird?
The device doesn't matter. Google it, and you can see all kinds of issues with their imap servers, using various e-mail clients and platforms. It's not limited to android devices.
The best I got was I managed to get through the incoming mail server to get to the SMTP settings.
This statement doesn't make any sense. Outgoing e-mail uses the SMTP protocol, not incoming. Incoming would be either IMAP, POP, or in some cases, like an Exchange server, HTTP/HTTPS.

Upvote 0
Getting snarky with people who are only trying to help will tend to dissuade people from trying to help you.

The name thing is not T'bird-specific. Some email providers want to see "username@whatever" for a "username," others want to see only the username portion. Gmail is an example of the former. All the mailservers I set up are examples of the latter. (I don't know about Apple's servers.)

I'm certainly no fan of Samsung's mobile device software development team, but I don't know as this one can necessarily be laid at their feet. That native email app I think is part of the basic Google Apps, is it not? I know it's on my tablet, and I'm running CyanogenMod. So unless Samsung's developers modified the app, this one probably isn't their fault.

As for alternate apps: It's of course up to you, but I'd almost have to ask: Why use an Android-based device if you're not going to take advantage of the rich selection of apps? Personally, I use almost no "native" apps, because there are free or inexpensive replacements that do a much nicer job. In my opinion.

Jim
Thanks Jim. The snark only drove me to attempt set up iCloud e-mail on my own 4.2 tab. If i get it working, I might dangle the answer for a day or two. :p

Upvote 0
Quite possibly what's happening is that after a few failed attempts at authentication, their imap server locks you out for XX minutes, or hours. I'm going to try again later. I did read that the imap server on an android device requires a prefix, which can sometimes be determined by checking your IOS device for incoming mail server, i.e. p01-imap.mail.me.com. My iPad won't show incoming server address, only outgoing, so I attempted to glean it from setting up Outlook '10, but it's not connecting either. I'll give it some time.

The automatic lockout would explain why so many people are getting so many different results, with some even changing their password to get it working, which may reset the lockout period.

Upvote 0
Still no luck. Was able to get Outlook to work for incoming e-mail, showing my imap inbox, but outgoing won't work, and none of my outgoing ports are ISP blocked.

Some people have had success using the imap server prefix, determined by adding a debug tool to Firefox/PC and checking the log after logging in to the me.com web site, but that didn't work in this case.

An apple account password change seems to fix the issue for most people, but i'm not willing to go that far.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones