• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Email Notification Issues

parsman

Lurker
Jun 30, 2010
First post from a recently converted iPhone user :)

I'm getting on great with the phone, it is one stunning piece of kit.

I do have an issue with the stock email client/widget. I've got it all set up to pull down any new messages every 10 minutes and I've set up the peak/off-peak times, etc.

What I don't get are any notifications for emails that I receive overnight when the phone is switched off. I can switch it on in the morning and leave it for as long as I want, but still don't see the new emails appear until I start up the email client.

After the client has been run I get email notifications without any problem.

I connect to my own IMAP server and have Google Mail sync disabled.

Anyone seen anything similar, or got any ideas for a fix?

Hi,
Not really sure, but here are a couple of things to check.
In the settings / accounts and sync menu, do you have 'Background Data' ticked.
There is also an option there for 'Auto-Sync' which may be worth trying to see if it is the cause.
My guess is that the email is not automatically syncing because the program needs to be started the first time to allow the inbuilt mail send/receive settings to take over. Once it has been started the first time it is running in the background unless you use a task manager to close the mail client...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones