email notification

Last Updated:

1. 26.2man

26.2man Member This Topic's Starter

Is is possible to assign a personal sound file to the gmail notification or am I stuck witht the factory sound notifications?

Advertisement
  2. DT

DT Well-Known Member

I'm 99% sure (my phone is downstairs) that if you hit the menu key from within GMail,go to options, there's a notification section where you can select a ringtone.

3. 26.2man

that just takes me to the faqcory ringtones

4. DT

DT Well-Known Member

Oh OK, here's what I did: I used RingDroid which is a super easy way to make ringtones and notifications out of any music file (at least MP3) on the phone. You fire it up, select a section of the song, and can save it as a Ringtone or a Notification. If you save it as a notification, then it becomes available in the ring tone selection in GMail :)

RingDroid:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.ringdroid#

[​IMG]

I believe the user rings/notifications are simply stored in a directory in the main phone memory, so it's not like RingDroid does anything other than save in the correct location, but it does trim the file down to a smaller size (without a root, there's a limit on ring file sizes I believe).

n7slc likes this.
  5. Chew

Chew Well-Known Member

Ringdroid is what I used to change it to a personal sound file.

After 2+ years of the iPhone Tri-Tone, I kinda got used to hearing that for messages. :eek:

6. 26.2man

worked like a charm
    thanks a million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. narcoden

narcoden Member

You can find the ring tones manually using something like Astro file manager

Ring tones, alarms, notifications, etc are found in this folder:

/system/media/audio

8. Simba501

Simba501 Well-Known Member

You can just use "My files" that's on the phone already and place files here

My files > media > audio > "Ringtones" (create this folder if it doesn't exist)

My files > media > audio > "Notifications" (^^ditto^^)

And when you set alarms, you can navigate through your files just by selecting the option to change the sound and it'll ask you if you want to go to your files...then just find it from there...

Larry202br likes this.
  9. Larry202br

Larry202br Member

I don't see those directories. I start with /sdcard/ as the home dir, and I see no media or audio subdirectories. How do I get to the media directory or folder?

10. Larry202br

Larry202br Member

I tried using Zedge to assign ringtones to notifications, that didn't work either. Doesn't someone here know how to assign custom ringtones to notifications?

11. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Create the folders yourself. It works.

Might have to restart your phone though.

Larry202br likes this.
  12. Larry202br

Larry202br Member

since my root directory is sdcard, I can only create folders under that directory. MY FILEs doesn't "support" the forward or backslash character, so I don't know how to back up a directory. do you mean to create the folders under the /sdcard/ directory?

this is working for the most part. I still can't change the foursquare or ESPN notification tones, but that may be a shortcoming of those aps. Thanks for your help.