Email notification

1. paulcox5

paulcox5 Member

Can anybody help. Is it possible to get a notification when an email comes in that is not the default notification tone or do you I need to use another email program. If so what do you recommend?
    Thanks for any help

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Which email app are you using? It's possible in the gmail one for sure, just look in the settings. I'd imagine every email app will have a setting for this though, have a look.
  3. zaffy

zaffy Active Member

Do you want an audio or visual notification
  4. paulcox5

paulcox5 Member

I am using the HTC email program.
    I would like primarily a tone notification but would prefer both.
    I am not against using another app but I do not want to forward all my mail to a gmail account so I can use just their app.
    Thanks for any help.
  5. paulcox5

paulcox5 Member

I am currently using the gmail app for my gmail account and yes that does give the option. The HTC email app seems to just turn on notifications but you cannot pick a tone. I have several other email account which I need to keep seperate.
    Thanks
  6. zaffy

zaffy Active Member

If you go to the 1st sticky post on this forum, it will tell you how to add more notifications, alarms & ringtones
  7. paulcox5

paulcox5 Member

Thanks very much for replying. I have added various new tones notifications etc but I cannot assigned one to the HTC email program. It only seems to give me the option to enable a notification but not to choose which one.
    Thanks
  8. zaffy

zaffy Active Member

Put the sound you want to use (mp3) in your notification folder, go to messages or email, open "Menu" select settings/select sound, anything you place into the notifications folder will be shown as a selection. If you don't see it you haven't done it right, or your connected to your PC.
  9. paulcox5

paulcox5 Member

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly but its for my email not text messages. I have changed the one for text messages already.
    Thanks
  10. zaffy

zaffy Active Member

Same goes for the email, I just checked mine and changed it, - edited my post
  11. paulcox5

paulcox5 Member

Yours must be different to mine as I have no where to change the sounds, all I can do is enable sounds, vibrate etc. Are we both talking about the HTC default email program? If not what are you using?
  12. zaffy

zaffy Active Member

I use Googlemail, I didn't think it would be that different, sorry if I mislead you.
  13. paulcox5

paulcox5 Member

Not a problem I just wish it was the same.
    Thanks for trying though.
  14. paulcox5

paulcox5 Member

Anybody else?
  15. paulcox5

paulcox5 Member

Somebody
  16. ronin

ronin Active Member

For some reason (I may be wrong) I think you can only use one notification tone for everything.
  17. Xyro

You can use seperate notification tones for everything: email, sms, facebook, twitter and so on. Just look for the option in the respective app.

So it's odd there isn't one in the HTC mail app. I'd have a look but I dont have that app on mine any more.
  18. paulcox5

paulcox5 Member

What email app do you use apart from gmail?
  19. Xyro

I mean the HTC Mail app isn't on my phone, Gmail is the one I use :)
  20. _MarkC

_MarkC Well-Known Member

Just possible they have addressed this with the revised OS/ROM coming with Android 2.1 - might be worth waiting to see.
  21. Hrochnick

Hrochnick Well-Known Member

The sound you set for notifications in home>menu>settings>sound and display>notification sound is the default sound for notifications and will be used for emails into the HTC mail app.

All other notification sounds can be changed from this in their respective programs but for some reason not the mail app, so it's there that you need to set it.
  22. paulcox5

paulcox5 Member

I thought that was the case but just wanted to make sure I have not missed something.
    Cheers guys