Email notifications?Support

Last Updated:

1. shaneallenhenderson

shaneallenhenderson Well-Known Member

I am new to Android.....I am used to my blackberry.

How can I make my phone let me know when I get emails? The notifications are not working for gmail or yahoo?

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Welcome to Android Forums, shane.

You're going to have to tell us which Android device you're wanting to see notification of emails received; they're not all the same.
  3. DarkKirby

DarkKirby Member

Well, assuming you have set up a google account on your phone, that email should have notifications on by default, If not go to the gmail application, click the options button on the bottom of your phone, and select settings. If settings does no appear click "more", then settings.

It's the same for other mail, except you use the email (that's not gmail) application. You can also select from both application how often you would like for your phone to check for new email. My assumption is more power is used the more often it checks.
  4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

I'm thinking the OP is referring to notifications when the screen is locked/asleep.

Notifications are different from device to device, in that case.
  5. shaneallenhenderson

shaneallenhenderson Well-Known Member

I have the samsung mesmorize gagaxy 8

My gmails come through fine. No yahoo or comcast. I have to manually check them. It sucks.
  6. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

Moving to the Mesmerize forum.
  7. USCellularAndroid

USCellularAndroid Well-Known Member

Since Android is developed by Google, Yahoo wants you to pay for their premium service to use the stock email app. You can download the Yahoo Mail app, yet I like to have a combined email inbox for my gmail/yahoo. Luckily people figured it out and posted how to get around paying for it.

As for your comcast, you will have to go to their website and find the "mobile email settings" or call their customer service to manually set it up. Each email provider has its own incoming/outgoing settings.

I'll copy and paste the Yahoo email settings here...

Click on "add email account" in the email application and do the following.

8. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Well-Known Member Contributor

Unless I've missed something, the Android platform badly underperform's RIM's email management ability. I'm not talking about push notification, either, which is a horse beaten too often. I don't need "immediate" notification.

But if I set my accounts to "check every 5 minutes" I should not have to manually update them when I want to know if I have new messages.

RIM gets knocked a lot for limited functionality (and rightfully so in many cases) but when it comes to making calls and handling email, which are the fundamental features a smartphone should have, Blackberry has it figured out already.

Android is still trying to figure out how to do it, and that mystifies me, given how useful the rest of the platform is to me.
  9. pkld

pkld New Member

Is anyone having problems with their phone picking up past emails that you have already deleted from phone. My husband just got his Mesmirize and I have an Aclaim and both have picked up past emails. Mine also is showing an email dated 12-31-69. Any help would be appreciated
  10. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Well-Known Member Contributor

The 12/31/69 error usually happens when the sync gets corrupted or there is an incomplete transfer of data. Not a big deal unless it keeps doing it to all of your messages.

Mine will pick up previously deleted emails from time to time. I think this is most likely due to the app syncing the inbox before it syncs the imap trashcan.