Last Updated:

1. The Hoff

The Hoff Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, query time...

My environment is:

1 Exchange Account - Push
    1 IMAP (Gmail) - 2 hourly
    1 POP (Hotmail) - Once daily

My issue is that I am receiving alerts for the same new mail repeatedly. Here's the gist:

11:50 - New mail hits my inbox.
    12:00 - I receive a notification of the new email.
    12:05 - I check my inbox, but choose not to open the email at this time.
    14:00 - I get a notification of a 'new' email, yet on checking it's the one received at 11:50, but still haven't opened.
    15:00 - Rinse and repeat...

Now, I'm not sure how many times this is happening, or even if it's everytime, but there's something definitely glitchy with mail notifications.

Has anybody else noticed similar behaviour? If not I may try removing/adding my accounts back in again.

Cheers, James

Advertisement
  2. Monker

Monker Member

This probably doesn't help much, but I've seen a similar thing on my wife's Wildfire. That was on her GMail account used through the standard mail app. I didn't properly look into it, so unsure whether it's still happening.

3. Lymbo

Lymbo Member

I'm having the exact same issue. (glad it's not just me)
    I dont want to be reminded of notifications i'm deliberately ignoring.

I did some tests, the second reminder happens after exactly 5 minutes, which leads me to think it's a setting somewhere....but where?? I can't find it.

4. scullywan

scullywan Member

i have a related question, how did you guys got your gmail pushed in? i have everything turned on but still not getting my gmail unless i hit sync or refresh in my gmail inbox, which upsets me a lot......

What gives? i am using a T-mobile G2 and I am in China hence the Chinese 3G carrier. i don't really think it has anything to do with the carrier cause my brother is using iphone 4 with the same carrier and getting his push mails at all times.

Any thoughts?

5. Lymbo

Lymbo Member

Are you using the gmail application, or the standard email client?
    If you use the gmail app, it should push automatically. With the standard app, you have to set the frequency that it checks for new email. this can be as low as 5 minutes which isnt so bad.
    I am using both for all my various email accounts, so i have 3 shortcuts on my homescreen. Sms, Email, Gmail.

Keep in mind that the official Gmail app does not show how many unread posts you have, but there are a few apps in the market that can rectify that.

Hope that helps.

scullywan likes this.
  6. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Well-Known Member

Lymbo, can you elaborate on your post a bit? As a relatively new EVO and Android user (after years with BlackBerrys), when I set up my gmail account to push my Hotmail Emails to the phone, it worked great--for a day or two. Since then, it doesn't seem to work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

7. scullywan

scullywan Member

Thanks Lymbo for the elaboration. i got it figured out. I am using the default gmail application and it was not pushing at first. I checked my setting and it turned out that i turned off the background data......kinda idiotic me...

I had the same problem with you that official Gmail app does not show the unread posts, i kinda like it the way on my iphone, easy and straight away... again thanks.

8. Lymbo

Lymbo Member

There are apps that show you the number of unread messages.
    I'm using one called `Gmail Unread Count'
    Does the job fine.

9. Lymbo

Lymbo Member

Going back to the original issue, Is anybody else getting the multiple notifications (with the standard email app receiving accounts via pop3)?
    I think each time it checks, it doesnt know that the mail it sees in the inbox is the same one it saw on the previous update, and so it sounds the notification.

I'm guessing this as i have my update frequency set to 5 mins, and i get the multiple alerts every 5 mins.
    it's very frustrating.
    Can anybody else test and confirm this with their DesireHD?

10. Thunderguin

Thunderguin New Member

I have the same issue here. Every 5 minutes, I get a notification for the same email if it goes unread. This is a serious problem, especially since it is the same notification sound for texts...

...The problem became serious when I'm hanging out with my gf and my phone keeps bleeping every 5 minutes. So she thinks that someone keeps texting me and gets upset...:mad:

Please fix this issue so that peace can return to my life! :cool:

11. Lymbo

Lymbo Member

Thanks for confirming that it's not just my setup. I hope this gets fixed in the next version.

I'm not sure if the Evo is the same, but on the desire HD you can set different sounds for different alerts.
    It's in Personalize>Notification Sound. There are 4 alerts to customize.
    -Default Notification
    -Message (sms)
    -Calendar
    -Email
    You can then save this as a `sound set' in the personalize menu.

If you do have these options, maybe you will now be able to differentiate between what messages you are receiving and maybe set a more subtle sound for the repeating email notification.

Not a solution, but I hope it helps a little.