email problems

Last Updated:

1. Dazza

Dazza Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi. I'm having problems with emails not sending when my desire is on my home wireless network. Internet works fine but emails fail to send. Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. Dazza

Anyone?

3. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Not without any specifics...

4. Dazza

What do you need?

5. channelsurfer

channelsurfer Well-Known Member

As I understand it, the reason is that your desire is configured to send emails via your phone network's SMTP server. When you connect via wireless to your home network, you are using your home network's ISP to provide internet\data services.

So when you then try to send an email, your phone network's SMTP server is blocking\refusing the request because it's originating from another ISP. i.e. your home network. This is very common with many large ISPs and is done to help prevent the proliferation of spam.

Unfortunately it does also cause problems with legitimate emails from users who are temporarily connecting via other ISPs.

Although I'm sure someone more technically savvy than me can better describe the issue and identify some of the possible, generic solutions, I find the easiest way of getting round it is to disconnect from your home wireless network briefly, send your emails and then you can reconnect!

Hope that helps in some way

6. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Possibly, it would really help if you told us which email provider it was tho.

7. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Email provider and email app please

8. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

You might get away with just changing your SMTP settings to use authorisation. Check with your provider.

9. ianb11

ianb11 Well-Known Member

I've posted about this before & never been able to get to the bottom of it.

10. pkirby

pkirby New Member

I too have similar issue, cannot sent emails. Not a "normal" email as in hotmail etc. Been on tech support at sprint and the domaine for my email/web. Just found out by sprint guy the android phones do have issues with certain email accounts. Can recieve but not send. This isnt the first time he has heard of this problem. Tech supports said there was an app can download for $30 !
    Anyone have similar issues ...or idea to resolve?
    Thanks

11. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

Need to know (1) email provider (2) email app being used (3) email account type - POP, IMAP, etc

12. Dazza

email provider is Rackspace. Email app?....not sure. I just used the email set up that's already on the desire. Account type is IMAP.

13. Eris Ed

I'll bump this post but I don't really know about IMAP account settings, so hopefully someone else can suggest some settings to check?

14. Dazza

Cheers. Never had this issue with the blackberry and it just seems odd.

15. ianb11

ianb11 Well-Known Member

1) 2 addys Tesco & Wanadoo 2) K9 3) Both POP3

Exactly the same here mate.

Given up trying to get it working TBH.

16. Dazza

It's bizarre that its only an issue on three wireless network. If I'm on wireless it "cannot connect to server" but if I turn wireless off then its fine.

17. ianb11

ianb11 Well-Known Member

I don't get any error when I'm connected to wifi.

The message just sits in the outbox.

18. Stucky

Stucky Well-Known Member

It might be your router - I had a similar problem at a friend's house. I could browse the internet OK, receive emails, just couldn't send. We eventually traced it to a problem with the router setup, but I can't remember what it was. Might be worth checking your settings.

19. Eris Ed

I have a few POP email accounts set up on my Desire and have occasionally had problems when sending - failed send etc, often when using home wi-fi but not always. I had set up the accounts using the settings on my email providers support page.

The problem turned out to be the port number in the SMTP (mail out) settings. My email provider gave me 2 options for the port number. Whenever I get a failed send, or if the email sits in the outbox for long periods, changing the SMTP port number from one to the other always solved it.

This solution may not work for you, but the symptoms of the problem seem exactly the same so it's worth checking what your email providers settings should be and see if there are any options that you could try.

Another thing I discovered was regarding manual set up of POP email accounts. By default, you enter the incoming (POP) server settings first. When the screen appears asking for the outgoing (SMTP) server settings, some of the text fields are auto-completed using info you entered for the incoming server. The auto-complete can be very inaccurate, and the errors are easy to miss. make sure you check every text field before proceeding to the next screen.

20. ianb11

ianb11 Well-Known Member

Don't think that's the issue mate cos I've tried it in Starbucks with the same result.

21. Dazza

Thanks for all the responses so far guys