Support Email Push vs Fetch. Which one uses more Battery?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Hodakaguy, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy Member

Jul 26, 2010
    I came from a Iphone 3G on AT&T and found the Push to be very unreliable on that phone. I would just rather set the phone to fetch every 15 minutes. Will the fetch use more battery than having the phone on push?

Hodakaguy

Advertisement

2. cubswin326

cubswin326 New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Indiana
    I believe fetch will use more battery because you are constantly activating the radio every 15 minutes. I know this was true of my Omnia (winmo). Push seems to be less stress on the battery.

3. kwest12

kwest12 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Excellent question: if anyone can provide a definitive answer on this, it would be much appreciated.

4. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    I've used push/fetch connected to an exchange server on both my Droid X & iPhone 3GS. In both cases fetch is better on battery life.

Technically push is only supposed to use bandwidth when the server tells it there is a new message available, however it must maintain a secure connection to the server, this connection is broken and re-established throughout the day so it ends up being almost constant whereas fetch only uses bandwidth at a specified polling interval. I can't use fetch because most days I get well over 100 messages and many require a quick response so I don't have the option of having a 5 minute fetch cycle, I could get 10 messages in that amount of time. So IMO fetch will be much better on the battery, assuming you choose a relatively long refresh interval like 30 minutes+

kwest12 likes this.
  5. kwest12

kwest12 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2009
    @Stone, thanks man, that makes sense. I think I should be able to go with fetch.

6. Kiri

Kiri Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    It appears my battery drains less when using fetch than push, especially every 30 minutes

kwest12 likes this.
  7. moon_walker333

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks a lot guys. I had the same question and was expecting that Fetch will be less of battery drainer. I am happy to see your answers confirming that.

Thanks! Keep the juice flowing! ;)