Email Push vs Fetch. Which one uses more Battery?Support

Last Updated:

1. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy Member This Topic's Starter

I came from a Iphone 3G on AT&T and found the Push to be very unreliable on that phone. I would just rather set the phone to fetch every 15 minutes. Will the fetch use more battery than having the phone on push?

Hodakaguy

Advertisement
  2. cubswin326

cubswin326 New Member

I believe fetch will use more battery because you are constantly activating the radio every 15 minutes. I know this was true of my Omnia (winmo). Push seems to be less stress on the battery.

3. kwest12

kwest12 Well-Known Member

Excellent question: if anyone can provide a definitive answer on this, it would be much appreciated.

4. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

I've used push/fetch connected to an exchange server on both my Droid X & iPhone 3GS. In both cases fetch is better on battery life.

Technically push is only supposed to use bandwidth when the server tells it there is a new message available, however it must maintain a secure connection to the server, this connection is broken and re-established throughout the day so it ends up being almost constant whereas fetch only uses bandwidth at a specified polling interval. I can't use fetch because most days I get well over 100 messages and many require a quick response so I don't have the option of having a 5 minute fetch cycle, I could get 10 messages in that amount of time. So IMO fetch will be much better on the battery, assuming you choose a relatively long refresh interval like 30 minutes+

kwest12 likes this.
  5. kwest12

kwest12 Well-Known Member

@Stone, thanks man, that makes sense. I think I should be able to go with fetch.

6. Kiri

Kiri Well-Known Member

It appears my battery drains less when using fetch than push, especially every 30 minutes

kwest12 likes this.
  7. moon_walker333

moon_walker333 Member

Thanks a lot guys. I had the same question and was expecting that Fetch will be less of battery drainer. I am happy to see your answers confirming that.

Thanks! Keep the juice flowing! ;)