Email question...

Last Updated:

1. I am 138

I am 138 Member This Topic's Starter

Sorry if this is a noob question, but I've got something odd going on with my gmail account when using my hero.

Currently I'm using handcent as my default sms app, temp fix for the battery thing (I hope, because I miss my SMS widget) and I think that this is related. When I get new email, the default "mail" program picks only what is new/recent up, but another notification comes up with an @ symbol and pulls all of my gmail inbox. The problem is that I can't seem to figure out what program it is and its getting annoying that I get 2 notifications everytime.

Any ideas?

My phone also randomly restarted yesterday afternoon, seems to be at least a few other people online that have mentioned this, but I can't seem to get a solid answer on it, anyone know what is going on there?

Thanks! :cool:

Advertisement
  2. Ramshackle

Ramshackle Well-Known Member

There are two email apps in Android. The one your using as the default mail app called 'Email' and the one that belongs to Google called 'Google Mail'.

The Google mail app only deals with your gmail and when you recieve gmail will display an '@' symbol in your notification area. What I think you may have done is set up your 'Email' app to recieve your gmail hence the reason your getting two notifications.

I just let the Google Mail app deal with my gmail and use the Email app to deal with everything else.

Hope this helps.

3. Shouse

Shouse Well-Known Member

I have a question that deals with this issue so I'll bounce off this thread. Currently I have both the email apps configured with my one email address. I liked being able to see my messages on the home screen w/o having to go through notifications (I believe this is the non gmail app). Of course I am getting two notifications and what's even worse, when I reply to an email, both apps send the same response so I'm sending double copies.

Obviously that will not work. Is the only way around this to pick one of the apps and use that only? Which would you recommend? thanks

funkylogik likes this.
  4. Shouse

Shouse Well-Known Member

lastly , if i want to reconfigure my non gmail account app, how do I do that?

5. ftothe3

ftothe3 Well-Known Member

well if you like the mail widget then you should stop using the gmail app...

6. Ramshackle

Ramshackle Well-Known Member

To configure your Gmail app simply open it press the 'Menu' key and select 'Settings'

7. Shouse

Shouse Well-Known Member

I think i want to reconfigure the non gmail client. Ideas on how to do that?

8. DigitalRapture

DigitalRapture Active Member

I setup both emails as well and would like to continue only using GMAIL. What do I need to do to disable the regular EMAIL app from sending and receiving emails?

I have deleted my email address, password and server from the email settings, and unchecked "Default Account". I'm not sure if that matters or not, but It keeps reverting back to checked when I relaunch the app.

-- edit --

Answer: Email > Menu > Accounts > Hold finger on Account you want to delete > Remove Account

9. cirehawk

cirehawk Well-Known Member

I have a question that is slightly different. I understand the difference in the 2 email apps. I have used an IMAP email account for years. Since getting my Hero, I will slowly migrate to Gmail since I am using it for my contacts and calendar to get full benefit of the synchronization. I set up the HTC email app to work with my IMAP account, but I can only see maybe a page full of emails. I can't seem to figure out how to see the next pages worth of emails. I have been trying out K9Mail and it shows all my emails, but the fonts are son dang small and I can't seem to change the font size. So, I'd rather use the HTC email app if I can figure out how to see more than 1 screens worth of email.

10. cirehawk

cirehawk Well-Known Member

Wouldn't you know it? After I make the post I finally find the setting to change how many emails are displayed (honest, I checked many times before asking lol). It was in the "Settings->Send & Receive->Download Options" section. By default it was set to download 3 days worth of mail (way too few). I changed it to all, which turns out to be WAY too many for viewing on my cell phone. So I'm going to settle on 30 days for now. And I may cut that back to 14 days soon. If I need to see anything older than that I should check on my main computer anyway.