• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Email set-up problems on droid

rwensing

Lurker
Nov 11, 2009
I just got the motorola droid, coming from a storm. I am having trouble setting up email on one of my school accounts. The IT people there don't know what they are doing so I'm hoping someone here can help me. The only information they offer is

• For server type you need to select IMAP
  • For incoming server you need to input imap.rollins.edu and the username and password will be the same as your Novell.
  • For outgoing server you need to input imap.rollins.edu and again the username and password will be the same as your Novell.
  • Incoming Port should be 993 and outgoing port 26 with ssl
  • You must also have the checkbox for "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" under "More settings" and the "Outgoing Server" tab.
  • For Pop accounts the port number is 995
I got past the incoming step using imap.rollins.edu as server, port 993, and SSL(accept all certificates). I am unable to get past outgoing server screen...

Ive tried using imap.rollins.edu and smtp.rollins.edu as outgoing servers and tried ports 26 and 465 with either no encryption, ssl, and ssl (accept all certificates). Tried every combination between those, along with using the same exact settings I used to put my Purdue email on the phone (which worked)

Any help would be appreciated.

(I also tried setting it up with a POP3 acct using 995 port and couldnt get past incoming server part....i tried imap.rollins.edu, mail.rollins.edu, rollins.edu, and rwensing.mail.rollins.edu as the server in that attempt.

Blackberry makes it alot easier as it detects all the settings for you

Thanks!

I was having problems connecting to my ISP to get my POP3 mail. I was entering the info as it was posted on the "help" website, to no avail. I kept getting stuck where you are: couldn't get past "outgoing."

A phonecall to techsup revealed to me that the Droid (I can't remember why) was a special exception to the posted settings, and he gave me the new outgoing server name. My outgoing server name went from "mail.cableone.net" to "authmail.cableone.net."

This info may not be as helpful to you as it was to me, except for this: call your techsup. Escalate until you find someone that will help. Try the settings as they're given, and stay on the call until it's resolved. You will succeed.

And it'll feel really good when you do.
Dan

Upvote 0
oh shoot man, youre right. i was trying to see if i could find the settings in my gf bb and in order to get to them you have to login to bis. i didnt see any other way of obtaining the settings.

the droid has auto set up as well. did that not work for you? before i switched to Touchdown by NitroDesk i used the auto settings and it picked up all my exchange settings for work without issue.

only other thing i can suggest is google it. as far as i can tell, you're using settings that would appear correct. just call the it people up and tell them you need the settings for a different phone. the settings should be the same for all phones.

Upvote 0
I was having problems connecting to my ISP to get my POP3 mail. I was entering the info as it was posted on the "help" website, to no avail. I kept getting stuck where you are: couldn't get past "outgoing."

A phonecall to techsup revealed to me that the Droid (I can't remember why) was a special exception to the posted settings, and he gave me the new outgoing server name. My outgoing server name went from "mail.cableone.net" to "authmail.cableone.net."

This info may not be as helpful to you as it was to me, except for this: call your techsup. Escalate until you find someone that will help. Try the settings as they're given, and stay on the call until it's resolved. You will succeed.

Dan

Thankyou so much Dan. I googled this problem because Verizon tech and cableone tech could not help me. Your solution hooked me right up. All Verizon would tell me is that sometimes cableone doesn't work on the Droid, but you can forward cableone to gmail. I don't like both accounts together like that. Thankyou so much, Techdroid

Upvote 0

Dan

I tried these settings and still can't get incoming or outgoing set up. Any other ideas or your exact settings, ports for both? Thanks :)

Upvote 0
Try using K-9 Mail (not stated which email app you are using), free from the Android Market. Don't use the "manual" setup initially as it may find your settings. If it errors on "invalid username/password", try putting in your full email address as the username.

If the auto setup fails, then try manual.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones