email set upSupport

Last Updated:

1. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys,

I'm really struggling here to help a friend set up his Mail. I've read and read for a few days now on this site and other sites and I've had about enough, and don't know what else to do.

He has a small business set up, with exchange, and I'm trying to find the domain name (I assume I have the other parts correct). I've tried the "whatis" website to look up the domain, and it still doesn't work.

Anyone have any ideas?? I'm about to begin just forwarding his damn mail in to a gmail acct! :(

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

When I set up my exchange account for work (on the Sprint HTC Hero) I just entered the email address, server address, username and password. I didn't have to enter anything else.

When I tried to enter anything else it would screw up and not work.

3. TheSultan

i just entering all the info w/o the domain name....no success :/

4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Try toggling SSL?

After that I'm clueless :p

5. TheSultan

thanks man, tried that yesterday

6. DizkoDan

DizkoDan Well-Known Member

I hope I'm not stating the obvious here, but the domain is the Windows/AD domain, not the domain name (ie, him@domain.com). So it would be whatever he uses to login to a computer on the network. Like WORKORG\username. Make sense?

Hope that helps.

7. TheSultan

it's a destiny 6 enterprise account if that helps anyone!

8. TheSultan

i think it makes sense.

when he logs on to a computer at work, he only enters his user name and password.

9. DizkoDan

Wait, so are you saying it's an outsourced exchange server? If so, contact their support, and they can give you the windows domain.

10. TheSultan

unfortunately, i'm not an IT guy, just a hobbyist--so I'm not sure what an "outsourced exchange server" is, but apparently that's the case if you figured it out by knowing it was a destiny 6!!

11. DizkoDan

Totally a guess. Outsourced exchange means that his company doesn't run/manage the exchange server in house.

12. TheSultan

i just asked him, and he said that is correct. I've been trying for days to guess the domain name correctly and I've had it. I guess he needs to call his IT guy, cause his room mate doesn't get paid enough to do this carp!

13. DizkoDan

Hah! Sounds like a plan. Tell him he owes you a beer or ten for your effort.

14. spence341

spence341 Well-Known Member

Is your friend able to access his exchange email via the internet? If yes, it is easy to set up.

Email Address : Name@domain.com
    User Name : Name
    Password : whatever they use to authenticate via outlook
    The piece your are missing is probably the Server address which in outlook is normally: owa.domain.com

Domain obviously being what comes between @ and .com in the email address.

15. TheSultan

Thanks spence. Still no go though.

16. Mahalo

Mahalo Well-Known Member

DizcoDan probably has this correct. Windows Active Directory and Exchange can work well and seamlessly with most recent clients (Wireless or not, authentication is authenticaion) whereby you enter the username and password. Your friend needs to look in his (likely Outlook) mail client settings at work to see what his account settings are in there. If you can find out what email client he is using and let us know I can probably help you help him. In most versions of outlook he will go to:
    Tools --> Something about "Account Settings" or "Manage Accounts" and then he will see his login name somewhere. If he double clicks on that he should see his login information. He may have to note those and also select the little box that says "Advanced" to see more details.

Generally, properly configured and reasonably up2date Exchange Servers will let his device automatically configure itself. Behind the scenes the device will attempt to perform most of the standard login variations.

They may be using either IMAP or PoP(3) so he may need to relay this info to you too as it makes a difference in your manual configuration. There may also be non standard ports involved... this is a fairly common practice as of late. Are you able to set up an alternate client on your personal workstation to test? This would be a GREAT method to check out how to make it work.

For more detail on what the server is you really can't provide any more information here than you have without drawing likely compromise attempts on their servers. However, you CAN go to a site like http://mxtoolbox.com and find out where the mail is being hosted. From there you will have a better game plan.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but the fact is you can't really post the information we may need to help you help your friend... and that, sir, is a good move on your part be it intentional or unintentional!