1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Email Spam Filter?

Last Updated:

1. Jezston

Jezston Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

There seems to be plenty apps for removing sms spam on the market, but are there any for blocking email spam?

Advertisement
  2. CeePeeBee

CeePeeBee Well-Known Member

I honestly haven't seen one....my ISP and Google do a good enough job of segregating it though. I just untick the spam folder in my IMAP settings in K9Mail to avoid seeing it on my device.

3. sunrise

sunrise New Member

I just moved to the HTC Thunderbolt from a BlackBerry. Although gmail supports email push using IMAP, I wanted to use my own email accounts on my own Linux server.

K-9 Mail supports IMAP push. By using a webmail (squirrelmail) server-side filter I send email marked by spamassassin with [SPAM] in the subject to a Spam folder. K-9 Mail notifies me of mail in the INBOX, and I can check the Spam folder for mail incorrectly marked [SPAM] at my convenience.

Unfortunately no spam filter seems perfect, but this method has greatly reduced the amount of spam in the INBOX and occaissionally I find a real message in the Spam folder.

Now my Android email works as well as my BlackBerry email did. I receive email in a few seconds. I have been very pleased with K-9 Mail.

Many hosting accounts support IMAP, webmail, and spamassassin, so this setup should be possible if you do not have a dedicated Linux server.

The HTC Thunderbolt with 4G LTE is fast. Using the HTC Sync software on a fast Windows 7 PC with the USB connected Internet Connection Mode, I measured 9.041 mbps download and 5.574 mbps upload in dslreports.com java speed test.

4. Wizard1

Wizard1 New Member

I use email from my service provider and have several URL's so have email addresses from them, a spam mail filter is what is needed like Thunderbird, where I can mark the mail as junk, so any future mail from that source is junked in a folder and set to delete in a given period. Is there anything that can do this on Android? a big hole if not.