• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Email stopped syncing

Sylon

Aug 22, 2011
Ohio
For a little while now, my email app stopped syncing properly. Going into the Settings>Email shows that both my accounts I have in there have Sync set to off. However, there is no way to turn it on. Going into the "Account Settings" menu shows both of my accounts, and both are set to check the inbox every 15 minutes. Still, neither one of them are fetching emails on their own.

Any ideas short of deleting and having to re-add them again?

I figured out what caused the problem. I was trying to get rid of the Picasa albums in my Gallery, and in doing so, it also turns off email's ability to sync. Stupid that they are tied in together, even though the email accounts are not related to Gmail whatsoever. I use the Gmail app for Gmail and the email app for my other email accounts.

Upvote 0
Once you have the master auto-sync on, you can individually turn on or off separate google services, like Picasa, in you Google account. You can turn Picasa off and leave gmail on. They are not tied in together. If master sync is off, you can't change the individual services behaviour.

Reactions: Sylon
Upvote 0
I had the same problem today and we ended up going to the store where we ended up having to reset ours to the factory settings we were able to back up our photos but you will loose any text mgs and all apps and extras you have. the rep at the store said there were several folks who had the same problem. Maybe a virus?/???Good luck

Upvote 0
Im having a similar issue with yahoo. I get this sync error in the pull down. i go to it, put in my CORRECT password (just checked it on my laptop) and it still won't work. I'm using the built in email app.

You're better off using the dedicated Yahoo app, I've seen loads of people across multiple devices having issues with Yahoo andpre installed email apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones