• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Email Sync/Download frequency

My gmail used to update to my phone almost instantly and then one day it just stopped. It started doing what you are talking about. I think it would sync when I first rebooted my phone but other than that if I didn't manually do it, I would not get alerts about mail for days. I am not sure what threw it out of wack but I did get it working again by doing the following:
- Go into your phone's settings
- Select "accounts and sync" and disable 'auto-sync' then 'background data'
- Then reboot the phone (with them still disabled)
- After reboot go back into the settings and turn 'background data' and 'auto-sync' back on.

This got the gmail app working and pushing exactly as it should (for me at least). I hope it helps

I am now suddenly not able to receive Gmail to my phone the past week or so. It's been perfectly fine up until I got Gingerbread installed. Now, my only way to have mail is to sync manually, and that is a little unnerving to do each time. I tried the above and it does not work still.

Anybody else have this issue with Gmail since Gingerbread?? I have Gingerbread on the original Incredible.

Upvote 0
My gmail used to update to my phone almost instantly and then one day it just stopped. It started doing what you are talking about. I think it would sync when I first rebooted my phone but other than that if I didn't manually do it, I would not get alerts about mail for days. I am not sure what threw it out of wack but I did get it working again by doing the following:
- Go into your phone's settings
- Select "accounts and sync" and disable 'auto-sync' then 'background data'
- Then reboot the phone (with them still disabled)
- After reboot go back into the settings and turn 'background data' and 'auto-sync' back on.

This got the gmail app working and pushing exactly as it should (for me at least). I hope it helps

I just took the time to register just to thank you, I literally read through 9 different forums for this answer to my google'd question "android gmail sync frequency" and couldn't find the answer anywhere i thought i was going crazy! looking for a setting because of course that make sense! but your trick worked immediately! so simple i'm so pissed i didn't think of it i was too caught up in looking for a setting. whoever moderates this forum should bump your solution to the TOP

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones