Email sync keeping CPU at 100%

Last Updated:

1. brocja01

brocja01 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all, I was about ready to throw my D1 through the window because of the horrible battery life I was getting with it. I'm rooted, over clocked (running ulv 1k chevy kernel) on the default factory rom. Not matter what I did I couldn't get good battery life out of my droid. Didn't make any difference which rom I tried, which kernel, I just couldn't get it to run more than 6 hours with out having to plug it in.
    On top of everything, the pho e was sluggish! Like crazy slow, it would start put fast, and a few hours after I got everything installed on my phone the phone would start to get slower and slower.
    Than tonight I did so e digging. Found an app that would show me what my CPU was doing when I was just looking at my desktop. It was sitting at 100%!!!! I was doing anything, the phone would just sit there at 100% not matter what I was doing with the phone! So I thought, there is my slow down and battery problem! Did some more digging and found that my email calendar sync (I have 2 exchange accts syncing email and calendars to my phone) was just a spinning away. Removed my exchange accounts and my CPU went down to zero.

I would really like to sync my exchange accts, anyone else have this issue? Anyone have any pointers?. Going to kind of watch it tomorrow and see what kind of battery life I start getting. But not being able to sync my exchange accts would be a huge hit!!!

Thanks in advance!
    Brocja01

Advertisement
  2. vrelicv

vrelicv New Member

Manual sync...?

3. brocja01

brocja01 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Alright everyone, I've figured out my battery/performance issues in regard to the email application. There must be some bug inside of the email application when it comes to polling an exchange server at intervals. I had 2 exchange accounts set up to poll ever 15 minutes and after an hour or two of polling, my CPU would all of sudden hit 100% and stay there. The only way to stop it would be to either delete the email accounts or reboot the phone. I then decided to set both the accounts up for push instead of polling, and see how I faired. Got the phone fully charged, set the accounts up and went to bed with the battery at 90%, woke up this morning and expecting my phone to be dead was pleasantly surprised to have the battery meter sitting at 80%. Only lost 10% over night, which is awesome for me. I have charged my battery yet, and I'm at 50% and have been off the charger for 13h 25 minutes. Pretty awesome in my humble opinion.

Just thought this might help anyone who is sync with exchange and isn't using push notifications thinking it was harder on the battery. In my case, it was the opposite. :)

i2kdave likes this.
  4. i2kdave

i2kdave Member

Thanks for the tip dude! I had figured out that the exchange sync was slowing my phone down, but I thought I was just going to have to do without it. Now I've got it set to "push" and it's working fine! :D