• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

email syncs in only one direction

The default email app syncs fine coming down from the server (automatic or manual). In other words, I get good updates of email. When I delete or move mail on the server, NOT thru my Android device, those changes are synced down to my Android either automatically or manually.

However, when I delete or move emails on my Android device, the actions never get uploaded back to the server. In other words, after cleaning up my email on my Android device, I log into my email on my computer. It is as if I never cleaned my email at all. The sync seems to happen only in one direction. It does not seem to matter whether I manually sync after cleaning my email. The result of actions on my Android don't seem to be recognized by any of my email accounts. After moving or deleting on my Android, when I access email from my non-Android device, it's as if I never deleted or moved the email messages. If I manually sync from my Android, the emails I just deleted or moved on my Android, re-appear on my Android as if I had not done anything (in other words, the old info is synced back down from the server).

Most of my accounts are gmail, but I have a proprietary account from my ISP as well.

Is this normal? Is there anything I can do, to force the changes I make on my Android, sync up (the other direction) to the email server?

It's not normal. It's kinda odd and I don't know precisely how to fix it. Your email client seems to be sending incorrect instructions or none at all.

If you haven't already, go to: Settings > Apps > Select email app > Clear cache. Worth a try.

Still no go, try replacing the proprietary Samsung email client with AquaMail, K9, Maildroid or one of several other good email options.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones