Email vs Text Notification changes?Support

Last Updated:

1. Spark5091

Spark5091 Member This Topic's Starter

I have just gotten my Optimus and read thru many of the posts here. One change I would like to make is how notifications are handled. Based on what I can find, notifications for email and text messages are treated exactly the same.

I would like to get a notification of a text, but not necessarily for every email... especially not a audible one. In a best case, I would like both notifications to show up on the notification bar, but only get a audible notice on a text. Is there a way to set that up or an app that will do this?

Thx

Advertisement
  2. gabbott

gabbott Well-Known Member

Are you using the gmail app? You can go into the settings and select a specific tone for email, there should be one for silient as well. That way you wont get an audible notification for email but one in the top bar.

3. Spark5091

Right now I have Yahoo as well as Gmail and it appears the Gmail app will not connect to the yahoo mailbox, though I have not given that a lot of effort.

Currently trying to move my yahoo to gmail, but the import/export of the calendar is problematic... but that's a different subject.

This will be a good solution if and when I get completely off yahoo... if that day comes.

Thx

4. Kmfiremedic111

Kmfiremedic111 Well-Known Member

When you are in the main screen for your email click on one of your accounts. Click on the settings button, account settings, then scroll down to notifications. You can choose to have a notification at the top of the screen or not. You can also choose to have it alert you with a sound or not. I hope that helps.

User Name: and Spark5091 like this.
  5. Spark5091

Thanks for the help... I should have found this myself, but I missed it.
    Do appreciate the lack of an alert when getting junk email.

Now if we can just get the speaker turned up...

6. nilesxavier

nilesxavier New Member

I own a LG Optimus S. I am able to add phone ringtones but cannot add notification ringtones. I followed instructions to create a "ringtones" folder in the root folder of the SD card. When I placed new MP3 files there I can choose them for the phone ringtone but not for notifications (e-mail and text). Is there another way to accomplish adding ringtones for notifications.

7. sonicbluemustang

sonicbluemustang Well-Known Member

Thank you!!
    You solved your own problem and mine. I've been wanting to add files to my notifications folder in system folder but couldn't so when I saw your post on the ringtone folder trick well the add a Notifications folder to my SD card worked. but I used .ogg files I made. I added it to the already existing media/audio folder on my sd. :):D

Ill add a Alarm folder later.

8. petereit

petereit New Member

Any clue why the gmail app seems to "float" back to the default ringtone setting when I have repeatedly set the ringtone to silent? This phone is about to experience some severe deceleration trauma! :mad:

9. hippieeit

hippieeit New Member

I have the Optimus V, but as far as I know the optimus family of phones regardless of what model basically run the same way. To make custom ringtones for text, email, and phone, is annoying, but simple.

Use an app like Myxer to create a ringtone with your music, or use one already made, and when you press the save button, a box will pop up and there will be a drop down menu that lets you choose from: ringtone, notification, alarm. . .etc. save it to whatever folder you are going to use the ringtone with. you can save it multiple times if you want it saved in all the folders.

to make it where the text and email notifications are different sounds:

when under the sound settings for all notifications, set the sound to whatever you want your text tone to be. then open gmail and open one of the accounts, press the menu button on the phone, go to MORE and then settings. from there find the sound settings and choose whatever sound you want from the notification ringtone options. you can choose silent if you dont want a sound for email.

the yahoo app doesnt give you the option to choose its own ringtone, but it does allow you to turn sound notification off. otherwise it will be the same sound as your texts.

i hope this helps!

10. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Well-Known Member

Look at K9 mail in the Market. Much better than the default app.

I believe that the Optimus is going to have the same setup as the Evo. Put ringtones on the SD card in media/audio/ringtones and notifications in media/audio/notifications.

11. Nikalacy

Nikalacy New Member

I am having a similar difficulty with my Optimus V.

I use rememberthemilk.com to remind me to take my medicines each day at a specific time, and I would like to have a specific notification sound for remember the milk so I don't ignore it like I might do with a text message if I'm busy.

I use Ringo Lite to set custom ringtones/notifications to contacts, however, I can only use ringo if the contact has an actual phone number-- and remember the milk sends me text messages via email.

Can someone tell me how to set up a specific notification for an email address, or refer me to an application (free, preferably) that would do this?

EDIT: Problem solved. Put in a fake phone number and it'll show up in Ringo's contact list and work perfectly.