emailing via phone

Last Updated:

1. dizzy

dizzy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Am new to smartphones so bear with me! I've got a few questions about using my Hero to access my email:

1) If I setup the phone to access my email accounts what types of vunerabilities am I opening myself to?

2) If I lost my phone (or it was stolen) could someone read my passwords ... how are passwords stored on the phone?

3) Is it safer to access my email provider thru the browser?

Thanks for the answers and advice!

Advertisement
  2. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

I don't suggest doing anything financial or confidential over your phone if you're worried about it. However, from my understanding, there's very little risk with getting a virus or a logger or anything like that on your phone. There's just not enough users for someone to bother writing a virus/logger for android. And accessing your email through the browser on your phone wouldn't be any different than accessing it through the provided email apps.

As for losing your phone and worrying about your passwords, there's a couple security apps out there designed specifically for that purpose. Mobile defense, wavesecure, and lookout mobile security are 3 such apps, that give you an account and access to your phone should you lose it. You can remotely wipe everything from the phone, and lock it down with these apps. Most even allow it to be tracked by the GPS remotely using their site.

3. Little Darwin

Little Darwin Well-Known Member

If you lose your phone, change your email passwords. Problem solved. However, if you find it in your sock drawer you will need to change them back, or set the new ones on your phone.

4. Xandria

Xandria Well-Known Member

Which one of these security apps do you use?

5. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

Haha, I DID use Mobile Defense, it was in beta so not everything was working at the time. I haven't looked into them recently, but those are the three I hear about a lot. I know WaveSecure will send international texts every time you try to track your phone, and Mobile Defense is domestic, which is the big reason I used it.

I don't use any of them now, because I'm too lazy to put them back on my phone every time I flash a new ROM, but I believe they're great assets to have