Emails off the Server problemSupport

Last Updated:

1. scottmdgto

scottmdgto New Member This Topic's Starter

New Droid owner, I like the phone a lot, bye bye Blackberry, I use my Driod for work mainly, and I often need to reply to emails sent a day or 2 before, but once outlook downloads the email from the GoDaddy server onto my office computer, they disappear from the Droid, this never happened to my Blackberry. It's a big deal since I can't find an old email while on the road or at an appointment. I've tried looking thru the settings and can't find the anwser, any help is appreciated.
    Scott

Advertisement
  2. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

That's strange that it didn't happen with the BB. What type of email account is it (POP, IMAP, etc)? It sounds like you just need to check the leave mail on server option but that should have affected the BB as well.

3. scottmdgto

I use a Pop3 account. Once the email was on my blackberry it stayed there as opened mail until I deleted it, I don't want the email sitting on my server once downloaded, I just don't want the droid to detete it from the phone until I decide to. Like Outlook, once downloaded it's off of the server but sits in your inbox until it's deleted, can't the droid do this? When I'm on the road I can only see new mail, not old mail, and this has caused problems, I was thinking it's a settings issue, but I can't find anything about this.

Scott

4. tomcat84

tomcat84 Member

I dont think that I can help here, sorry... I just want to make sure I understood this (maybe this helps others, too ;))

You download an email on the Droid, leaving it on the server... then you download the same email on your office PC, deleting it from the server.
    And then it also disappears on your Droid?

Is that right or did I get something wrong here?

5. scottmdgto

Yes, I think so. Once it downloades to my PC, if it was on the droid or not, it's gone. On my BB's, if it was on the BB at any point, it wouldn't be deleted (from the phone) until I manually deleted it, which I did delete old emails after 2 or 3 weeks or so.
    Basically the same as any outlook, gmail, etc.. Just because you read it, it dosent disappear, it's there as a "read" email or not in bold, but all of mine on the droid disappear once they are gone from the server.
    I just checked and my Gmail account shows "read" emails, not in bold, why not my Pop3 accounts?

6. eelmot

eelmot Member

Its a timing problem, if the phone reads it first then the desktop reads it and deletes it from the server it shows up in both places, but if the desktop gets it first, it deletes it off the server and so the mail is gone and not available to be downloaded to the phone. The blackberry works differently and syncs both with the server and leaves all on both until it is deleted by one or the other. The fix would be to use a sync technology instead of pop3. Use imap or hosted exchange, most providers of email offer one or both of these in addition to pop3, Gmaildoes. Android supports both as does outlook. Using one of these will work the same as blackberry and hosted exchange will sync contacts and calendar as well.

7. skerm

skerm New Member

This started happening to me when I updated my Incredible to 2.2. Prior to that, as long as my phone grabbed the email from the server before Outlook on my laptop it stayed on the phone until I deleted it. Since the update I can get plenty of email on my phone but as soon as I launch Outlook the next time the phone syncs with the Pop3 server all my phone emails disappear. The same thing is happening on my brother's Incredible. Very frustrating.