• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Emergency Call button

The button..although im aware will be usefull in an emergency is annoying.. is there anyway that this button can be removed? im not on a rooted device either

Im at a loss as what you mean.

As far as I can see the 'Assistance' is activated by holding both volume keys for 3 seconds or more. This can be turned off in Settings>My Device but I dont see a button to remove though.... Screenshot?

Upvote 0
FIXED IT! Okay, not totally. I couldn't get rid of the emergency call button, but by downloading sqllite editor I was able to edit the emergency contact and change the number to NOT 911. I set mine to 12345 so when pressed it just "cannot complete the call as dialed". No more pocket 911 calls. Here's what I did.
Root the phone
Download SuperSU
Download SQLite Editor (costs money, but you really only need it for 5 minutes, you could always REFUND it when you're done, but $5 is a small price to pay for this fix, and you never know when you might need to edit another database.....)
Open SQLite Editor and navigate to data --> data --> com.android.providers.contacts --> databases -->contacts2.db --> emergency
Select the only entry and click edit (pencil icon)
Change the number to whatever you want. I don't advise an actual working number because then you'll be pocket calling them instead, but whatever floats your boat. Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
That worked on my S4 Active SGH-I537. A big thanks from me and local cops. But I here is another 911 contact that I would like to change.

Lock screen, hit emergency call, hit contact button on lower left then hit dial. There is only 1 contact there and it is under ICE emergency contacts

Where would I find that one?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones