• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Emerging From Denial - Finally Officially Disappointed

hgsl

Lurker
Sep 5, 2010
I have given Android 2.2 FroYo about three weeks and I can not remain in denial any longer. I'd just assume whip this Incredible into a brick wall and use two cans on a string from now on.

The Incredible with Android 2.1's battery life was barely tolerable. I bought 2 extended batteries and cycled through 1.5 of them everyday. This I think is an accommodation that goes above and beyond reasonable. The Incredible isn't designed to have simple access to the battery, especially with a case. Even my external case design expected access to the "memory flake" area. Hmm... did someone change their mind mid-production and forget to tell the case makers?

I can't understand why anyone would sell a phone that it is mandatory to shut down all the features so you can get a just few hours unplugged. I feel as though I am the victim of fraud.

I did my research. I fell in love with Incredible. Recommended this phone to everyone I know! Made battery accommodations and settled in. Got into a routine and then the upgrade happened...

I cycled through 4 batteries that day. Read up on new FroYo issues. Recalibrated all four batteries. Not much help.

So I read that **BY DESIGN** if you are using Navigator in your car with your device plugged in YOUR DROID WILL FAIL. Hope you weren't planning to use Pandora too or take a phone call...

WHAT?!?!? No kidding. By design. They planned for your device to fail if you use it. What Rocket Scientist decided this would be acceptable? Didn't happen in 2.1... Just saying.

I think that The Apple iPhone 4 is a failure. You buy the this expensive phone and you can't make a phone call and hear it unless you AREN'T holding onto it. HUH? Get an additional bumper so it can work. Are all us consumers just morons? Why would anyone stand in line, pay major bucks, and sign a two year contract, to buy something that is actually designed not to work? Well that is what we do.

Why do we spend our hard come - easy go money on substandard products with expensive contracts on the basis of "potential"?

I am going to get my phone a hard reset today and the software reinstalled. Yay! Hopefully my representative will be kind. Maybe I am wrong about the whole thing. Perhaps I had a corruption. We shall see.

Thanks for listening to me vent. I will update as things progress.

BTW ~ I only use my phone to check email, text a little, surf the net a little, play solitaire, GPS, Pandora, I use my alarm, oh and I make phone calls on occasion. I require it to work properly though. Is this a case of false advertisement???

I understand that you SHOULDN'T HAVE TO root your phone to get it to be the best darn thing out there, but if you DO ROOT your phone, it will be the best darn thing out there!

With a modded phone, my battery life is amazing.

I can listen to Slacker AND run GPS AND my battery will charge during that process. Overnight my phone is plugged into speakers and plays music (Slacker) while I sleep (I can't sleep in silence, it wakes me up!) and I wake to a full battery every morning. (Fully charged by 1am, usually).

I'm running Virtuous Rom 2.7, was running King Kernel #4, but now Running Adrynalyne's Kernel for Virtuous for tethering support. Again, amazing battery life for both using the phone, and during recharge.

Users have fixed what HTC gave us.

Upvote 0
I'm getting 24 hours + of use with a 1500 mah battery on 2.2. You've got something drinking your battery.

or he is using 3g data a lot. that is a crusher on any battery

I hate it when people say things like the above

"I get X hours, so there is something wrong if you only get Y". it's possible, but it's much more likely your usage patterns are very different

if I didn't use any 3g data at all, and only used my DINC for phone calls, I could literally get days out of it. or I could get 3 hours of constant web surfing. same phone!

Upvote 0
What makes you think my money is hard earned?

laugh.gif

Upvote 0
or he is using 3g data a lot. that is a crusher on any battery

I hate it when people say things like the above

"I get X hours, so there is something wrong if you only get Y". it's possible, but it's much more likely your usage patterns are very different

I use pandora about an hour a day. I would say I'm a moderate user.

He says he's swapping out extended batteries 1.5 times a day. So you're right, he's probably doing something different than me or has an app that is tearing up his battery. I know that if I use TuneIn Radio or iheartradio my battery life suffers.

When I say he has an app that's drinking his battery don't you think it refers at least in part to his usage?

Thanks for hating....

Upvote 0
I understand that you SHOULDN'T HAVE TO root your phone to get it to be the best darn thing out there, but if you DO ROOT your phone, it will be the best darn thing out there!

I'm running Virtuous Rom 2.7, was running King Kernel #4, but now Running Adrynalyne's Kernel for Virtuous for tethering support. Again, amazing battery life for both using the phone, and during recharge.

Users have fixed what HTC gave us.

I agree with the bolded especially. it sucks that I had to spend 4 hours figuring out how to fix what HTC forced on me. but now that I'm rooted (with Virtous + Custom Kernal), my phone is much better off.

I don't think my battery life is amazing, but it's completely workable

Upvote 0
When I say he has an app that's drinking his battery don't you think it refers at least in part to his usage?

I didn't get that impression, b/c you seemed to imply that something was "wrong" with his phone.

if you did, my bad

also, something could be "wrong" with just sense, as HTC and Verizon have confirmed!

either way, figure out how to root and use customer kernals/rom's set cpu's. it sucks that you have to do it, but its better than living with a bad phone

Upvote 0
I will probably end up rooting... However, I shouldn't need to!!! I feel you should only "want" to root. You know for fun, or for a challenge. Once you own something, as in purchase it, you should then be the boss of it and it's capabilities. It should not be the boss of you. You get to tell it what to do. It should ask you what you want it to do. Ugh!

I certainly wouldn't buy a car if I knew I had to rebuild it in order for it to do what it was supposed to do in the first place. It would take me a long time too. And I'd need to collect a lot of tools.

I feel a certain naughtiness in rooting this phone. I will feel like I am violating it. BUT I OWN IT! I SHOULD AUTOMATICALLY HAVE ADMINISTRATIVE PERMISSION!

I never thought I would feel such dismay at a version of Linux! Bad Tux! Sure feels a lot like Windows Vista.

Thank you for your replies and support. I will get to the bottom of this.

Upvote 0
yeah to be honest if you check this thread, some phones were manufactured with issues unfortunately. but guess what, there are solutions.

I rooted my phone and can use my google maps, while on the phone connected to a bluetooth headset. pretty awesome right?

but seriously, if you have so many issues, get rid of it. get a GIANT X or a heavy D2. or even just grab a dumb phone and a gps.

methinks your issues are a little bit the result of a 1D10T error though.

http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/111148-date-your-phone-manufactured-vs-problems-phone.html

Upvote 0
You also have to love when someone's first post on the forum is to bash the phone. I don't see him asking for help anywhere on this thread.

+1

I mean come on, I was posting on here before I got the phone to learn about android. Then I was lucky enough to get a phone without issues but going through rooting, flashing roms and such, every issue I had was resolved by someone on this thread.

Also, +1 to Phandroid, did you see the t shirt contest contestants? #6 rules

Upvote 0
result of a 1D10T error though
In reference to me? Gee Thanks.

I shouldn't have just come in bashing my phone. To be fair, I have been reading this forum following suggestions from everyone to the issues posted that match mine. I have exhausted my patience and vented today.

So pleased to meet you all. I want very badly to LOVE my phone again... And I certainly have no intentions of insulting anyone.

For all it's bells and whistles I am willing to carry around a sack full of batteries and change them out as needed. I do not want to have to impede the phone's capabilities so my alarm won't be interrupted. But some things just don't make sense. If charging, you shouldn't have to reach into the sack.

Anyway, I do apologize for my unintentional rudeness.

I am headed out to murder and resurrect my mean old Incredible just now. I wasn't really looking for help yet. Just support. How can I mend this broken heart? Maybe I could get one of those iPhone bumpers...

Upvote 0
I do not want to have to ****** the phone's capabilities so my alarm won't be interrupted.

What word did you star out? :thinking:

Anyways, I mean you stated you weren't looking for help but you wanted support. In my eyes that means you wanted to complain but not actually make an effort to improve your situation. You have plenty of fixes; rooting, downgrading, battery managers, posting screen shots of battery usage for others to comment on.

I love my phone, I thought the battery sucked so I did something about it and I love my phone even more.

Upvote 0
So I read that **BY DESIGN** if you are using Navigator in your car with your device plugged in YOUR DROID WILL FAIL. Hope you weren't planning to use Pandora too or take a phone call...

WHAT?!?!? No kidding. By design. They planned for your device to fail if you use it. What Rocket Scientist decided this would be acceptable? Didn't happen in 2.1... Just saying.

Curious where you read that the Dinc is designed to fail when using nav and plugged in. My Inc has never failed or crashed while plugged in using nav. Whether running 2.1 or 2.2 or a custom rom(and I have tried several), my nav works perfectly when plugged in.

Upvote 0
Ever since 2.2 my battery life has gotten even better. I could go all day with WiFi and 3G on, but now I can go at least 1.5 days, thats moderate texting, web browsing, email, and talking.

Same here. Although it takes longer to charge the battery, this design has worked in making my battery last longer. I keep it on a charge through USB to computer all day being at work.

Upvote 0
Okay, I'll say it. You gotta want help before you can get help.

You claim you have tried "every trick in the book" but yet these are your first posts. So I have to say, I don't think you are trying very hard.

The cold and simple fact is, you may just have a bad phone. It happens. With how you describe your usage, you should not be going through 1.5 batteries a day. Just shouldn't happen, period. So either you have a rogue app that is keeping your phone awake (of course, if you already tried all the tricks in the book you would have monitored the phone to find out if you do...) or you just have a bad phone. Have you gone to Verizon with this problem? The phone DOES have a 1 year warranty you know...

As for the "failure by design"... it's NOT A FAILURE!! No one designed the phone to fail and certainty no one admitted to designing it to fail. They changed the way the charging process works, and for good reason. But it's not failing.

I think if you calm down a little and just get a replacement phone, you'll be much happier.

Upvote 0
Okay, I'll say it. You gotta want help before you can get help.

You claim you have tried "every trick in the book" but yet these are your first posts. So I have to say, I don't think you are trying very hard.

The cold and simple fact is, you may just have a bad phone. It happens. With how you describe your usage, you should not be going through 1.5 batteries a day. Just shouldn't happen, period. So either you have a rogue app that is keeping your phone awake (of course, if you already tried all the tricks in the book you would have monitored the phone to find out if you do...) or you just have a bad phone. Have you gone to Verizon with this problem? The phone DOES have a 1 year warranty you know...

As for the "failure by design"... it's NOT A FAILURE!! No one designed the phone to fail and certainty no one admitted to designing it to fail. They changed the way the charging process works, and for good reason. But it's not failing.

I think if you calm down a little and just get a replacement phone, you'll be much happier.

again, +1

OP, there are plenty of answers on this forum, im sure you have questions for all of them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones