Employee discount... student discount?General

Last Updated:

1. Chango99

Chango99 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I attend UC Berkeley as a student and was checking to see if I could get a vzw discount. I went to the employee discount page and added my address, turns out I do.

But, it's supposed to be an employee discount... so I'm wondering if it works for students? I did get a confirmation email and looks like I can kind of set it up online, but I was having issues with adding a line since it asked me to get a phone for the other line (it's going to be a family plan).

So I called in to order my incredible and blah blah.

Basically, the account is under my cousin's dad's name. They said for us to have the 15% employee discount (I avoided saying i'm a student the whole time) they would have to do assumption of liability and change it to be under my name. Then stuff about credit checks and all that... so I'm not sure how this will work. I don't want it to get billed to me... My credit history is almost nonexistent since I just received my card a couple of months ago.

What should I do?

Advertisement
  2. josh81

josh81 Well-Known Member

I say let them do it...It is worth a try to get a cheap Dinc.

3. sk8skanj

sk8skanj Well-Known Member

i'd say just say your email is his and they'll never know the difference.

4. TPR300C

TPR300C Well-Known Member

I worked for verizon so I know how this works. In order to get the 15% off the account will have to be under your name. They will do a credit check to determine if you need to provide a deposit or if you can carry all the lines. Its the only way. The 15% is not applied to phones. I would get a 50% discount on my bill but never on the phone. secondary lines which are $9.99 do not get the discount since the price is low for them. features also dont get the discount. The only feature that does is the $29.99 data plan. Hopefully this helps you out.

Edit: If the discount is only for employees they will verify you work there so this might not even work out for you.

5. TheNextOne21

TheNextOne21 Well-Known Member

but the problem is that hes a student and his credit score is almost non-existence, so does he need to have a cosigner with the account?

6. TPR300C

they dont accept cosigners. So if he doesn't qualify even with a deposit he will just get denied unfortunately so he would not be able to follow through with the Assumption of Liability (AOL)

7. Chango99

How exactly will billing work?

8. TPR300C

Can you elaborate on your question please. I want to give you a correct answer.

9. Chango99

If it goes under my name, where do bills get sent to exactly and like who's paying? Can I just put his address, his debit/credit card, his checks... ?!? I don't know too much myself.

10. TPR300C

When you go through the AOL process you can request to keep the same address you dont have to change it unless you want to. When it comes to paying the bill anyone can make the payment. you can use his debit card. If the account currently is set up for auto payments you would have to set it up once again when the account is changed to your name. If the account is set up online you will also have to register it again. One benefit of AOL is that speeds up your upgrade date by a year. For example, currently on that line some one just upgrade to a motorola droid in December they technically wouldn't be eligible to upgrade until 20 months from then but with the AOL they will be able to upgrade in 12 months from then. So anyone currently on the account that has a long way to go before they could upgrade will benefit from this. When i worked there i saw people that would AOL accounts every year so that they could upgrade all their lines yearly.

11. Blackrad11

Blackrad11 Well-Known Member

to get my droid inc i made my own account coming off of a family plan i am fresh out of high school and to get my credit up i made my own account and got my droid inc becuse i didnt like my storm so long story short my familey has 2 accounts one under moms name and one under mine she pay's 2 bills and i get an Inc.

12. 5150Marley

5150Marley Well-Known Member

I just sent customer service an email about the student discounts.... hopefully I get one!

XDaydreamerX11 likes this.
  13. XDaydreamerX11

XDaydreamerX11 Well-Known Member

Keep us updated!

14. 5150Marley

15. 5150Marley

Here is Verizons reply:

"Regrettably there are no student discounts available for attendees of your school. Please also note that your current calling plan, the Unlimited Nationwide Talk & Text plan is not eligible for access discounts"

Well it was worth a shot!!

16. palomosan

palomosan Well-Known Member

I basically get discounts on everething through the company I work for.

Extra $100 off the phone price, so if the phone is 300 with the mail on rebate I get it for $200 plus the mail in rebate.
    25% off of all accesories
    20% of my monthly plan including the Data package.

Can't complain.