1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Emulators?

Last Updated:

1. GAMESHARQ

GAMESHARQ Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have some questions about emulators:

Is the discussion of emulators and emulator games allowed on this forum?

Will the emulators work on Android 2.1?

Can I buy the emulators and emulator games on the Android market?

Advertisement
  2. Legato

Legato Well-Known Member

There are many Emulator apps out there...just depends on what platform you want to emulate. You can discuss them fine. Just cannot link directly to ROMs and sites for ROMs, as that is the illegal part to it.

NESoid, SNESoid, and GBAoid are all great emulators by one developer. They work great.

I'd love an Intellivision Emulator or a MAME type emulator for our phones (MAME = Multi Arcade Machine Emulation)

3. Vanquished

Vanquished Well-Known Member

4. anujvir

anujvir Member

If you Install SNesoid or any other game emulator, be sure to also install ROM Gripper. This is the easiest way to find and download ROMs for your emulators. Works like a charm.

5. GAMESHARQ

Which is better - ROM Gripper or ROM Buddy?

6. Vanquished

ROM Gripper is free, ROM Buddy is $2.99. From reading the reviews, seems like people like ROM Gripper more.

7. CptGemini

CptGemini Well-Known Member

What about using PMs to share a link or two to some roms? I have quite a few stored on a folder on my website that is not linked to anywhere. I might even password that folder to keep the search engine bots from looking at it.

8. Sweet Chaos

Sweet Chaos Well-Known Member

All you need to run the ROMs is the emulator and the ROM correct? ROM Gripper/Buddy are only for FINDING the ROMS? I already have the ROMs saved that I want to get (ahem..once I get my phone, that is) so I don't need to FIND them, just install them.

9. Vanquished

If you already have ROMs, just put them on your SD card. When you run the emulator it will ask you to select them. ROM Gripper not only finds the ROMs but allows you to download them too. I'm assuming ROM Buddy does as well, but again, you have to pay for that one, and the comments on the Market say that ROM Gripper has a larger selection anyway.

If you decide to use one of the ROM apps from the Market, they create a folder to save the ROMs too. It is defaulted to the SD card but you can change it. It creates one called /SD/ROM and then subfolders for the emulator type (GBA/NES/SNES/etc.).

Depending on the emulator you may need a BIOS file as well, such as with the GBA emulator. ROM Gripper has that as well I believe.

10. GAMESHARQ

My phone (Samsung Intercept) still has 2.1. Should I even bother trying to run any ROMs or should I wait until 2.2 comes out?

11. Legato

Legato Well-Known Member

i was running roms fine on 2.1. Remember the ROMs you are trying to run are NES, SNES, GBA, Gensis. The game files are smaller then 4 MB for most games, hell NES games are KB in size. Even a phone running 1.6 should run an emulator fine.

12. Raylon

Raylon New Member

Has anyone had any luck with the PS1 emulator? I got Gran Turismo 2 working, but it runs rather laggy once the race starts.