• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Enabling dock mode....without a dock

jhat3k1

Oct 14, 2009
Denver
I was looking at the programs that were running on y phone, and I noticed one called "dock mode". I clicked on it, selected switch to, and a really sweet dock mode appeared.

It has photo frame, connected media, and calendar quick shortcuts along with the weather background, and a nice weather widget in the top right corner.

If this is already common knowledge.......sorry, if not.....Enjoy!

Is there a way to put a shortcut to this dock w/o downloading another app? I saw this as a lock screen icon option but couldn't find it when scrolling through the apps. On the MT4G at least it gave you the option to put the desk dock & car dock modes on your home screen by selecting applications. Does the Sensation have a stock car dock mode?

Unless you know how to create shortcuts within the OS, I don't know of any other way. Any Cut or Better Cut are "safe", and don't take up resources, if that's your concern. All it does is "create shortcuts"...it does not run in parallel with the opened app.

Car dock mode looks to be in there, but I can't get it to run. I can get to the settings page but its "grayed out". I don't use that mode, but I'll see if Launcher Pro can get it opened.

Upvote 0
So, I like the dock mode, but half of the reason I would use it is for a night clock. (The other half would be on my desk at work.) Considering, though, that the original HTC EVO 3D desk dock mode does not get very dim, it isn't very good for that purpose. I have been trying the Desk Clock Plus app, and I like that one except the buttons (Home, Menu, Back, and Search) do not shut off when it goes into its night mode. The one other thing I would very much like, is since I use Sleepmeter to record how much I sleep, I would need to tap its widget before putting the phone in the dock, and I often put the phone in the dock as I am getting ready for bed, so that wouldn't be ideal, either.

Speaking of ideal, the ideal would be to have a simple "Dock Launcher" program that kicks in when the phone is placed in the dock. It would need to be able to run widgets, as well as contain shortcuts for other programs. It would also be triggered by entering the phone being docked (entering dock mode), and terminated (both the dock launcher and any apps triggered within it) by removing the phone from the dock.

Anyone know of anything like this? (Unfortunately, I am not much of a programmer, so as much as I would love to just sit down and write something, it just isn't in the cards for me to do...)

Paul_R

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones