Enabling sysctl.conf/init.d in Stock rom?

Last Updated:

1. le0p

le0p New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I've got a rooted Commando and removing the bloatware and moving stuff around has definitely improved the performance but I'd really like to tweak it a bit further.

I've got Jrummy16's ROM toolbox and I was trying to play around with the sysctl settings when I noticed that nothing took. I then looked into it a bit and realized it might not work with the stock rom. I then started to look into how to enable these features by manually adding files/scripts/tasks, but there hasn't been any commando specific stuff, so I have been hesitant to try it.

Has anyone done this? If you can point me to a guide I can figure it out, I used to a be a 100% linux user until the corporate world got hold of me.. I'm pretty confident in working with the system, I just don't know the ins and outs of working on phones and how the os works in comparison to a standard install.

And I really don't have money to replace a bricked phone..

Thanks!
    Leo

Advertisement
  2. paxchristos

paxchristos Well-Known Member

init.d & sysctl.conf require a custom kernel. Nobody has gotten one working yet.

3. le0p

Thanks! I won't bother messing with it then..

By the way, I've read some of your posts about working on a Commando rom, I wish you all the luck. I haven't done any linux development in a long time but if I can be of any help (i.e. testing or whatever), let me know!

4. paxchristos

The problem is that I haven't gotten around to building a second stage bootloader for the kernel (and I've been busy in xda :p ) I might get back to it after i'm done with this semester.

5. bigdanmeys13

bigdanmeys13 Active Member

Look at the V6 Supercharger thread over on XDA. It'll walk you through downloading an app called "Gscripts lite" and a script called "autostarts: enable init.d on stock ROMs". That may help.

6. paxchristos

Forgot about that one, it's not true init.d, but it functions similar to an init.d script.

7. le0p

Thanks for the v6 supercharger link! I implemented it today and I can see a noticeable difference.