Enchanced messaging service

Last Updated:

1. JTforPink

JTforPink Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Recently trying to send a text to my wife I got this error back as a text from myself: "Message Delivered to XXXXXXXXXX as plain text. Destination does not support enhanced messaging service."

I've never received this message before. A quick google search told me it was because the message was over 160 characters, but on my old phone it would automatically split the message up into multiple texts. I can't be sure if I've sent a text with 160+ characters n my droid before.

What gives?

Advertisement
  2. jolenemae21

jolenemae21 Well-Known Member

Does she have a service other than VZW? You can use a seperate messaging app to automatically split the message but I am pretty sure the native messaging app does not

3. JTforPink

She has VZW as well. I'm using handcent. Like I said, I can't be sure if it's happened before as I can't remember if I've sent another long message since I've had the droid.

4. jolenemae21

jolenemae21 Well-Known Member

I think there is a setting in handcent that will split the long messages....

JTforPink likes this.
  5. JTforPink

I must have glanced over that before. I looked but didn't see anything. Found it now though! hopefully that solves my issue. Thanks :D

6. MrDeeJ

MrDeeJ Well-Known Member

I have sent many messages over the 160 character limit and thanks to Handcent I have never had a problem and never had that type of message pop up. Do you have the split setting turned on within Handcent so that it splits the text?

Edit: Nevermind, looks like I took too long to reply.

7. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

Enhanced messaging service does not just mean over 160 characters. It could mean the text contained something such as animations or certain smileys that require EMS. All this means is, it will send the message, but instead of inserting animations/smileys/etc, it will put everything in plain text, and messages will be split to not go above 160 characters each.

8. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

+1

You wont be able to send her smiley faces anymore.

What phone is she using? Different carrier?

9. JTforPink

Nah, she has the same carrier. There were no smilies, the text was just over 160+ characters. However, I realized that I didn't have the "auto split" option turned on in handcent. She got the original message ok, I just didn't want that message sent to me every damn time I tried to send a message over 160 characters, etc. My old phone (LG Dare) used to do it for me automatically... that's why i was a tad worried XD

It's ok now though! Thanks all!