1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Encouragement needed - afraid to go SOFT

Last Updated:

1. moto-six

moto-six Active Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, I love a lot of the new phones coming out without the physical keybaord. But everytime I talk to converts, I hear bad things like, slowlenss, mistyping, etc. I need some encouragement!

Anyone go away from the physical keyboard and just LOVE softkeyboards?

:confused:

I wanna make the switch. But I need a shot in the arm from you guys. I am a physical keyboard addict! :eek:

Advertisement
  2. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

I can empathize with your situation. I just came from a BlackBerry Bold 9700 (to a Samsung Vibrant) and was concerned about the lack of a keyboard. Using a virtual keyboard is turning out to be not as bad as I thought it might be. Yes, it's a bit slower, but not unduly so. I expect I'll get more proficient with time, and Swype is surprisingly good.
    Don't stress over it too much, I'd say. :)

3. moto-six

Thanks w_bovine! Nice phone you picked up there too.

4. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Sounds just like real life, if you worry about going soft you'll have a problem with it - don't think about it and everything will be fine.... :)

5. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I made the switch in 2007 with the original iPhone. Had iPhones until until the Droid came out. I tried using the physical keyboard on it a couple times and couldn't do it. Now I have my droid X and I love it and swype is pretty nice.

I have never wanted a physical keyboard after using an on screen keyboard for about 2 hours. They are really easy to get used to and once you do they are so much better you will never miss a physical keyboard again.

moto-six likes this.
  6. moto-six

Thanks for the tuff love. Sure you arI switched from the Motorola Q and hated the Dare, then, got rid of the Dare for the G1, love it!

7. Ngo93

Ngo93 Well-Known Member

Swype XD

8. Segfault

Segfault Well-Known Member

I just switched to the captivate from an e71 a few days ago. I really like the swype keyboard. Its great for normal text entry, but so -so for entering things with random letters for passwords.

9. MJM128

MJM128 Well-Known Member

I'm used to a touch keyboard now, but I wouldn't say it's better than a physical keyboard. I can type sooo much faster on a physical keyboard and also I wish i had one for gameboid as that's a whole lot better than the touch screen. I guess it's just preference. Although I can type really fast with swype.

10. K-Rizzle

K-Rizzle Well-Known Member

I hardly use the physical keyboard on my moment. It does come in handy sometimes, and I like the option, but I mainly use the on screen KB with better keyboard.

11. stainlessray

stainlessray Well-Known Member

I tinkered with an iphone a long time ago and was like "eew" rocked a samsung blackjack 2 for 2 years+ and was like "yeah!" then i fell to impulse to get evo, hottest newest thing, and was like "idk" but after a month i'm like "whoa!" and even using slideIt (like swype, wich i can't presently get) and i'm like "HELL YES!" dunno why i was soooo worried 'bout goin soft.... faster than ever, all my friends are like "what's that?" and i say "this is how i text now" and they go "i want that!" ;)

12. moto-six

stainlessray, I am sure I will be the same way.
    Nearly bricked my G1 today, prolly going to be upgrading and "going soft" sooner that I plan anyway.

I will let you guys know how it goes, thanks for the personal accounts and insight!

13. moto-six

K-Rizzle, I had this master plan to slowly phase out the use of my phyical keyboard, but it's like crack! I keep going back! :eek:

Love the username K-Rizzle by the way. :D

14. moto-six

Hadn't heard of it before, checking it out now......
    Thanks!

15. Super Noob

Super Noob Well-Known Member

I used to have a samsung moment which had a horizontal keyboard. I moved to the evo which only has a virtual keyboard, and I have had no problems adjusting to it. Actually swype is about all I use now.

Swype | Text Input for Screens

16. corey8084

corey8084 New Member

Get the Motorola Droid, it has both and will allow you to transit to soft or continue with the physical. :)

17. moto-six

I am really going to give this Swype some serious consideration. Let you guys know what I think.

corey8084, I do like the Droid too, but not that much different from the HTC dream, only, a Droid has a nicer screen, faster proc, a sleeker design, ummm. Hmmm, Droid you say?

18. chrlswltrs

Get the Droid 2 when it comes out if you want to try this, don't buy a phone that is being phased out now and will be gone in a month or so.

19. moto-six

Right. Droid, Droid 2, both a step up for me. A lot of good stuff coming out later this year. Gonna wait and have my pick.

Hey chrlswltrs, you a cowboy fan? I love the Cowboys, especially when they are winning.

20. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

What you really need to do is try out any device that you're considering. Test drive, test drive, test drive. You don't buy a car without one, right?

It doesn't matter if I or anyone else was ok with the switch. It's your perception that matters. You can read replies all day and still not stand virtual keyboards.

My other advice is this: Don't assume all keyboards (physical or virtual) are the same -- even within the groups that you classify them into.

21. chrlswltrs

Die hard cowboys fan. Always have been, always will be, winning or losing although I do enjoy it a lot more when they are winning.

Here is my Droid X with my cowboys skin:
    http://androidforums.com/accessories-droid-x/117984-nfl-skins.html

Once football season starts all of my phone wallpapers and ringtones get switched to football/Cowboys.

I also have the Cowboys star tattooed on my arm!

22. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Swype is the best touch screen input method out there. Even better than having a physical keyboard.

23. Tangent

Tangent Well-Known Member

My first experience with an Android phone was a Droid Eris I evaluated for my work last year that I used for a couple of weeks. I kept mistyping on the soft keyboard and just didn't like it so when I started researching Androids to buy for myself, a physical keyboard was very important. A few weeks ago I bought myself a myTouch Slide. I really liked the physical keyboard, and only would use the soft keyboard for very quick text entries.

Then I decided to give the pre-installed Swype a try. I haven't bothered to slide out the physical keyboard in a couple of weeks now...

24. big_mike

big_mike Well-Known Member

i went from a G1 with a physical and a soft keyboard (used the soft a handful of times) i loved my hard keyboard especially for typing long emails or the like.

now on a galaxy s with swype and its amazing so so good. everyone i show is amazed by it and iphone user said how do i set that on my phone (haha)
    ive also got swiftkey beta and its good but i think swype is faster.

hope that's some help?

25. moto-six

Sweet! What score board app you running?