• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root End the Boot Loop

No matter what I do I cannot get around the boot loop.

First I was trying to flash the CM Remix ROM, which ended in a boot loop.

I then tried just JRummy's ROM, ended it boot loop.

I wiped data, cache and factory restored.

Tried flashing CM Remix again, boot loop.

Wiped again.

Tried flashing a 1ghz kernel, boot loop.

Where do I go to wipe system, boot, etc.? I'm starting to lose hope here.

No matter what I do I cannot get around the boot loop.

First I was trying to flash the CM Remix ROM, which ended in a boot loop.

I then tried just JRummy's ROM, ended it boot loop.

I wiped data, cache and factory restored.

Tried flashing CM Remix again, boot loop.

Wiped again.

Tried flashing a 1ghz kernel, boot loop.

Where do I go to wipe system, boot, etc.? I'm starting to lose hope here.

This is what I would do. Use ROM Manager or other means and download a stock ROM (rooted...but you want simple for this). Download the rooted, stock ROM, put it on your SD Card but don't install it yet.

- Boot into recovery (I assume you are using Clockwork if not...you have to use adb with SPRecovery...Clockwork is easier).

Perform each of the following at least 2 times.
- Format Data (Factory Default)
- Format Cache

Then go into the "Partitions" menu and do each of these 2 times.
- Format Boot
- Format System
- Format Data
- Format Cache

Get back to the main screen and choose to install zip from sdcard. Find the rooted stock rom and install as you normally would. When finished installing, reboot and you should boot up. If not, I would start over (and try at least one more time before you give up :D)

If successful, you will have a rooted stock ROM loaded up. You don't need to keep this ROM for any length of time...we just wanted to get you out of the boot loop by wiping EVERYTHING and then installing something that we know would play nice with your phone.

Now, put the ROM that you actually want to install on your sdcard and start over with wiping data/cache, formatting each of the partitions as before...then load your ROM of choice...reboot enjoy! :D

Upvote 0
Ah, so that's where it is.

Thank you.

I'm trying it now.

NP...please report back with your findings. I have not had the constant boot loops but I had FC's all the time with acore FC'ing and other issues...loaded different ROMs, etc...everything RAN slow and this is basically what I did. Wipe/Format everything and load a stock ROM.... Wipe/Format again and flash a nice custom ROM...haven't had issues since.

Having said that, I format all my partitions before flashing a new ROM. I tried to shortcut that with the new Bugless Beast 2.2 ROM...I finally had enough "little issues" that I did it the "right" way and my benchmarks and overall phone speed/stability has greatly improved.

Upvote 0
WTH...
So I wiped everything like said above. I tried to install my 2.1 w/ root but it failed. So now I am trying to reboot phone and its stuck in boot loop. I didnt do anything but wipe.

ETA:
Install says:
file_getprop: failed to stat "/system/build.prop": No such file or directory
E:Error in /sdcard/2.1 Update with Root.zip
(status 7)
Installation aborted.

Upvote 0
WTH...
So I wiped everything like said above. I tried to install my 2.1 w/ root but it failed. So now I am trying to reboot phone and its stuck in boot loop. I didnt do anything but wipe.

ETA:
Install says:
file_getprop: failed to stat "/system/build.prop": No such file or directory
E:Error in /sdcard/2.1 Update with Root.zip
(status 7)
Installation aborted.

Where did you get that 2.1 ROM...it sounds like it is only compatible with SPRecovery. I'll look for a link to a 2.1 ROM that is Clockwork compatible (I realize you can't download it from ROM Manager).

Upvote 0
Well! It worked that time I think. So, a few more wipes and I can flash whatever ROM I feel like??

Thanks UBR!

ETA: So was I just trying to flash a rom that wasnt CW compatible?

Sorry for the delayed response...busy night outside of the forum...:)

Glad to see that it worked! Here are a couple of thoughts as to what possibly happened (just a guess but here goes)...

I think that you had a corrupted ROM. Not necessarily issues with the ROM itself...could have been an app, random reboot, or something else that caused initial stability problems.

I don't know how well the "wipe data/factory reset" and formatting partitions ACTUALLY works. So what I'm thinking is that sometimes you cannot remove the problem by wiping/formatting. This is the reason I had you install the stock ROM. It served as a nice stable base ROM that would re-write over parts of your phone's internal flash memory that wiping and formatting could not do effectively enough.

And as far as the stock ROM that you couldn't install...based on the symptoms you described...it sounded like it was made to be an update.zip file that SPRecovery would have installed. The one I posted was the first one I could find with a quick google search that was listed as being Clockwork compatible. Clockwork and SPRecovery provide the same basic functionality but require different formats (think apple vs. pc...not quite to that level of difference, but you get the point).

Again, glad to see you're up and running!...thanks for posting back :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones