• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ending edge agreement

ezflip

Jul 19, 2010
Does anyone know how long it should take for an edge agreement to be cleared from an account after the phone is returned or paid off? Apparently no changes can be made to an account until the edge agreement is cleared out. I am at two months and counting now.

Here is the back story.

With VZW trying to push people away from the unlimited plans, my two sisters are on the same account and share 10Gb of data, but only use 2-3 of that. So, to save myself some money, save my sisters some money by picking up some of that data cost, and make VZW happy by ditching my unlimited plan, I decided to move my line to their account. My Edge agreement was up at the same time, so I was going to just edge up to a new phone at the same time. WRONG. For some stupid reason, they wont let you make any changes like that with an edge contract on the account (even though Edge is a device contract and has absolutely nothing to do with the service plan.) So the guy at the store apparently didn't know that either, so he returned my first phone (once thats done you can't undo it, so I was stuck at that point) then thought if I paid the 2yr contract price for the new phone, then he would be able to move the line over, refund the price of the phone and then set it up on a new edge agreement on the new account. WRONG. But he already put it all in the system and charged me $200 for the phone. He also put me on my own 10Gb plan which is more than double the price of the UDP I was on. So then he said we would just have to wait for the next billing cycle for the old edge agreement to drop off my account (after the phone gets sent in and checked out bla bla bla) So, waited a month, still didn't work. Even though, we can see on my account where they received the phone and waived the remainder of the total cost of the phone. But there was still an indicator on his system that said the edge agreement was still active. Going on month two (three days ago), I started getting threatening phone calls that they were going to shut my service off because I refuse to pay the ridiculous price of the 10Gb plan they put me on. So I called customer service, spent over an hour just trying to explain to her what the guy at the store did and why he did it. She looked it up and said everything was good to go, so she would put everything through right then and there and my sister would just have to call to approve the line transfer. So she did...of course talked to someone else who had no idea what was going on and said no, he couldn't do it because the Edge agreement still showed active on my account. He then called me then transferred me to customer service who then told me that she would do all the same stuff the last CSR told me she was doing then all my sister would have to do is call to approve it. WTF??? We just did that and it didn't work. So I text the guy at the store who's remedy for everything is just to wait till the next billing cycle. So where I am at now, my sister has made me an account manager on her account, so now I can approve the line transfer. But every single person I talk to seems to be looking at a different computer system and all the systems say something different. I think tonight I will call CSR again, spend another hour explaining what everyone else has tried in the last two months, and instead of having to wait for my sister to call and speak to someone else who is not involved, I will just approve the line transfer right then and there. Not sure if this is going to work or not. Sprints shitty service in my area is looking better and better...

Upvote 0
Wow and yikes.

If it were me I'd be screaming and yelling by now. Call and ask for a manager, don't waste any more time with a regular rep. I can understand they can't release it until they make sure the phone is OK but this just seems like a total mess up and they have to be able to fix it. Waiting for the system to update while getting nasty calls just doesn't cut it.

And don't forget to make them put you on the new increased data plan/bucket offer.

Upvote 0
What is this new plan/bucket offer you speak of? Edit: Nevermind, just looked it up. It looks like it only starts if you have 12Gbs before the increase. 12 becomes 15, 16 becomes 30, and so on. But nothing for anyone with less than 12.

I think I am going to ditch the edge agreement though. My one sister has been perfectly content with here iphone 4 so her line is available for upgrade, then me and my other sister can just rotate through upgrades yearly. That way, we get to keep our phones, pay less money for them, and still upgrade every year.

I can also understand putting a hold on the account, but it certainly shouldn't take two months for them to check the phone and make sure its ok. And once it is okay in one system, it certainly shouldn't say its still not okay on every other system. Their systems need to learn to communicate with each other. Then again, the edge agreement specifically states your service plan is not on contract, so you should be able to do whatever you want to your service plan...even shut it off if you want. But youre still on the hook for the device. So the whole thing is stupid and a much much bigger mess than it should have been. The guy at the store certainly didn't help matters, but I understand why he tried it.

Upvote 0
If you were going to edge up to another phone, your old phone would need to be either %50 or %60 paid off depending on when you signed up for edge. If so, you edge up and walk out with the new one. Why you would buy a new phone on contract if you had an active edge agreement?

You also could've bought out the edge agreement, then sold your phone to recoup some of the cost. Then if you didn't really like the edge program, you could've added a line to your sisters account with a subsidized, on contract phone.

Upvote 0
If you were going to edge up to another phone, your old phone would need to be either %50 or %60 paid off depending on when you signed up for edge. If so, you edge up and walk out with the new one. Why you would buy a new phone on contract if you had an active edge agreement?

You also could've bought out the edge agreement, then sold your phone to recoup some of the cost. Then if you didn't really like the edge program, you could've added a line to your sisters account with a subsidized, on contract phone.

Right, I was at 50% with the first phone and had planned on just handing it in and walking out with a new phone and that line moved to my sisters account. But they cannot move the line with any kind of active edge agreement on it. That was the point of buying the new phone on contract. The guy in the store thought that if I had a non-edge phone on my account, then he would be able to move my line over...he was wrong, because it still shows the first phone as an active edge agreement two months later. So, if you are on an edge agreement, you apparently cannot make any changes to your service account.

Upvote 0
There's only two ways Edge works. 1) You either edge up and start another agreement with your new phone. Or 2)you buy out the remainder of your current edge agreement. If you buy it out, you keep the phone. So you can't simply return the old phone therefore ending the edge agreement. That's why its still showing the edge agreement. its still active.

You can't do anything with your line with an active edge agreement. So you would've had to bought out your current edge agreement, before going with your sister.

Also if you do go with your sister. As the account owner, she, not you would be responsible for any new edge agreement you might want.

Upvote 0
There's only two ways Edge works. 1) You either edge up and start another agreement with your new phone. Or 2)you buy out the remainder of your current edge agreement. If you buy it out, you keep the phone. So you can't simply return the old phone therefore ending the edge agreement. That's why its still showing the edge agreement. its still active.

You can't do anything with your line with an active edge agreement. So you would've had to bought out your current edge agreement, before going with your sister.

Also if you do go with your sister. As the account owner, she, not you would be responsible for any new edge agreement you might want.

After speaking with about a dozen CSRs over the phone and in store, and I was actually speaking to a CSR supervisor when I read this, most of what you said is slightly inaccurate. If you are on one of the earlier edge agreements that goes to 50%, then yes, you can just hand the phone back in after 50% and be done with it. No need to edge up and no need to pay it off. But, if you are on the newer edge that goes to 60%, then you are correct. They took out that option so you do have to pay off the phone completely in order to get out of it. Which further destroys any kind of decent deal the edge agreement ever was.

Also, while the bill for edge stays on the main bill for the account, the edge agreement remains in your name. Accounts with multiple lines do not need an account manager to set up an edge agreement. The individual lines can set up edge and the agreement is in their name, not the account holders name.

Upvote 0
No, you are not purchasing the phone at full retail. You are leasing the phone. You can lease to own by keeping it until you pay the full retail price, or you can pay 50% and then give it back. But again, that is only on the earlier edge agreements. They have changed the terms when they switched it from 50% to 60%. Im not really sure why you are arguing about this. Its exactly what I did, and doesn't really matter anymore because they no longer offer the earlier terms.

Upvote 0
Yes you are buying the phone full retail. It's only similar to leasing a car in that Verizon lets you exchange it for another phone once 50-60 percent is paid for. The only terms Verizon changed was going from 50% to 60% in order to edge up. If you don't Edge up, the remaining balance of the phone is due.

Upvote 0
Straight off Verizon Edge

What is Verizon Edge?

Verizon Edge is a program that provides you the flexibility to upgrade early, and pay for your device over 20 months rather than paying for it all upfront. You’ll make a monthly payment until your device is paid off.

After 30 days, if you've paid at least 60% of the Edge device, you’ll have the option to Edge Up to a new device without any upgrade fees.

To be eligible to Edge Up, your original Edge device must be returned in good working condition and have no significant damage as determined by Verizon Wireless.

Note to customers with Edge Agreements signed prior to 6/1/14: You’ll keep your 24-month Edge Agreement, and will have the option to Edge Up to a new device after paying 50% of the original device, and returning the original device to us in good working condition.

Ok, so Again, Edge up refers to getting a new phone and continuing with a new edge agreement. If you don't Edge, you must pay the remaining balance on the original phone.

Upvote 0
Number 1, that doesn't have any information at all about ending the edge agreement, only if you want to edge up, or keep the phone. I wanted to do neither, and guess what? Didn't have to. Number 2, those are the terms for the current edge agreements. NOT the agreements made prior to the change to 60%. Ill say again, go troll elsewhere.

Upvote 0
Well you obviously don't know how Edge works. Edge is simply a Verizon term for upgrading your phone. First you were eligible once 50% of the original device was paid off. They then changed it to 60%. Once you Edge up, the remainder of the balance on the original phone was wiped out, and you start a new edge agreement on the next phone. It goes on and and on like this until you terminate the agreement.

The only way to terminate the agreement is to pay off the remaining balance on the phone. Again the following comes from Verizon itself.

If you do not wish to Edge Up you must pay off the remaining balance of your Verizon Edge device, either in full or according to the scheduled monthly installments. After your Edge device is paid off, you can purchase a new device under a 2-year service agreement.

Upvote 0
And again, those are the terms of the CURRENT edge agreements AFTER the change to 60%. The terms were different with the original agreements. What part of that dont you understand? Nothing that you have posted is relevant.

My plan was to edge up. The guy at the store, his manager, their district manager, the customer service rep on the phone, and her supervisor where the ones that decided to take the phone back to get me out of the edge agreement in order move my line. You are the ONLY person that believes that is not possible...and Im guessing you don't work for Verizon. On top of those 5 people, I have spoken to at least a half dozen other employees and their supervisors and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM says that is 100% possible on the EARLY edge agreements. It NOT possible anymore with the CURRENT edge agreements.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones