• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Endless com.android.phone crash renders G1 useless

fohlin

Lurker
Jan 22, 2009
I've been reading this forum for a while, but today I ran into a problem I really can't solve. So a finally registered, hoping that one of you guys could offer some advice. :)

Here's the deal (I'll try to make it as short as possible):

I've got an unlocked G1, which worked fine on my previous operator (Telia here in Sweden). Today, my new plan, with a new operator (Tele2), started. This morning, I put my new SIM card in, started the G1, and was notified that com.android.phone had stopped unexpectedly.

I've done everything I can think of, but this problem persists as long as use the new SIM card. After each force close, the error just repeats itself. Here's what I know:

• The SIM card itself works flawlessly in other phones.
  • The error doesn't occur until it tries to connect to the cellular network, i.e. after the PIN code is validated. Turning of PIN code authorization doesn't affect anything.
  • After a reboot, before the initial crash, the phone is connected to the cellular network. I was able to call the phone right after a reboot, only to find the same error breaking the call.
  • Neither a soft nor a hard reset does anything.
  • The problem occurs regardless of APN settings. This includes the correct APN settings for the new operator.
  • The new operator has been verified to work with the G1 (see this thread http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=1982 ).
As I see it, there are a couple of options:

1. The SIM card is incompatible with the G1. One thread on the T-mobile forums supports this theory (http://forums.t-mobile.com/tmbl/board/message?board.id=Android3&thread.id=22262 ). I'll be trying out some friends' SIM cards tomorrow, hoping to find a pattern.
  2. The switching of operators / networks itself causes *something* that the phone / OS can't handle? (Note that I'm keeping the same number).
  3. Broken phone (seems weird, considering it working with one operator)
  4. ??
If anyone can offer some insight or advice, I'll very much appreciate it! (If the solution doesn't involve sending in the phone for repairs, even better. I doubt the overseas shipping will be worth it.)

Thanks! :)

If a factory reset doesn't (no idea personally) wipe out the unlock, I'd suggest you try that (hard reset, probably the same thing.) If not, I think you're correct in thinking it's the SIM.

The first time around, I did a factory reset (per the settings menu). The other times I've done what I (maybe incorrectly) call a hard reset (holding home+power at start, pressing alt+w). Same result in either case though.

Thanks for responding. :)

Upvote 0
fohlin: I have experienced the same problem and reported the bug. Google engineers say the bug is known and relates to SIM application toolkit support.

For details look at the bug report at: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=1864

I haven't found any workaround yet. Let us know if you have found a way around this.

Thanks for the link (and for reporting the bug)!

"Future releases will be properly configured."

I hope this means that a future update will fix the issue. I also hope that this update will be pushed OTA sooner rather than later.

Hope is a good thing to have... :p

Upvote 0
I have been looking into a workaround for this bug and finally found a way.

There is a supposedly leaked (from Google) Android Developer Phone firmware version 1.1 image floating around on the Internet. The first one to post it seems to be:

http://andblogs.net/2009/01/new-adp1-images-leaked/

I downloaded this image and with the help of the procedure described here:

http://antonmelser.org/open-source/backup-install-restore-adp1.html

I managed to upgrade the firmware on my Developer Phone. The link above assumes you run Debian Linux, but if you have the Android SDK setup on Windows, the only thing missing is the "fastboot" tool. I downloaded a pre-compiled binary of "fastboot" for Windows from here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=463627

The first time you start your phone with the new image, it takes a while to start, but should then manage to unlock the SIM card make calls. The "About Phone" settings now shows "Firmware version: 1.1".

One final note of caution: There is no way to confirm that the binary files discussed above do not contain malicious software. The conservative approach would be to wait until Google officially releases the 1.1 firmware. That said, I have not experienced any problems (but I only finished about 10 minutes ago).

Upvote 0
Hey Guys, hope this is the right area to post this... Well here's my question: Can text messages be retreive before a hard reset?

Here's the short of the reason for asking this:

I purchased my phone (HTC Dream)on July 18th. A week after my purchase, I noticed issues with pressing the '0' on my phone. I assumed it was simply that I was not touching the screen in a way that it could read it. As of yesterday, the screen has become completely unresponsive. I cannot even unlock my phone to shut it down.

When I receive a call on the cell, it begins ringing in a weird way, just a constant, fast paced beeping (no way to make that clearer, sorry) then the screen shows this message 'The process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.' and states it will need to force close.

Even though I was unable to receive calls, my cell continued to gather texts. The HTC support team told me to do a hard reset. Before doing that, I want to get my texts back.

If someone knows an App, way or anything that I can do to resolve this save my texts, please help!!!

I will try the updates asap but would like to retreive my texts... Please help!

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I've been reading this forum for a while, but today I ran into a problem I really can't solve. So a finally registered, hoping that one of you guys could offer some advice. :)

Here's the deal (I'll try to make it as short as possible):

I've got an unlocked G1, which worked fine on my previous operator (Telia here in Sweden). Today, my new plan, with a new operator (Tele2), started. This morning, I put my new SIM card in, started the G1, and was notified that com.android.phone had stopped unexpectedly.

I've done everything I can think of, but this problem persists as long as use the new SIM card. After each force close, the error just repeats itself. Here's what I know:

• The SIM card itself works flawlessly in other phones.
  • The error doesn't occur until it tries to connect to the cellular network, i.e. after the PIN code is validated. Turning of PIN code authorization doesn't affect anything.
  • After a reboot, before the initial crash, the phone is connected to the cellular network. I was able to call the phone right after a reboot, only to find the same error breaking the call.
  • Neither a soft nor a hard reset does anything.
  • The problem occurs regardless of APN settings. This includes the correct APN settings for the new operator.
  • The new operator has been verified to work with the G1 (see this thread The G1 on Swedish networks/carriers - Android Forums ).
As I see it, there are a couple of options:

1. The SIM card is incompatible with the G1. One thread on the T-mobile forums supports this theory (PROCESS COM.ANDROID.PHONE HAS STOPPED UNEXPECTEDLY... - T-Mobile Community ). I'll be trying out some friends' SIM cards tomorrow, hoping to find a pattern.
  2. The switching of operators / networks itself causes *something* that the phone / OS can't handle? (Note that I'm keeping the same number).
  3. Broken phone (seems weird, considering it working with one operator)
  4. ??
If anyone can offer some insight or advice, I'll very much appreciate it! (If the solution doesn't involve sending in the phone for repairs, even better. I doubt the overseas shipping will be worth it.)

Thanks! :)

please tell me you have found a way to fix this issure. i dont want to have to send for a new phone? buy the way i have the sprint htc hero.

Upvote 0
Hi, new to Android and HTC, been lurking here for a few weeks. Bought unbranded Desire on Orange two weeks ago, unchanged from original, no downloads, no tinkering with software, no email set up, just numbers imported from old 2g sim. New handset occasionally locked up or shut down when receiving incoming call, got error message "sorry, process system not responding" Force close/Wait, either option resulted in several minutes long freeze and reboot, so took phone back to shop. CPW exchanged for new handset (thank you) without question and told me they had sold many Desire handsets, and none had been brought back with this problem.
New handset since yesterday, imported phone numbers, set up email, downloaded Advanced task killer free, and some google stuff (new maps - very good).
Today, after task killing facebook, I get error message "Sorry, the process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again". Force close.

Is it me? Could it be the new 3G sim (common to both phones) could it be the Android software? Could it be the task killer?

I hope i am not derailing this thread, just adding common info.

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm new with Android and I'm not an English speaker so I found it a bit confusing reading the posts here. But I think there's still no one have the same problem with me?

The thing is, I had a phone call, then suddenly, when I wanted to end the call, the error occured.
It said: Sorry! Process.com.android.phone is not responding.

Then as I had to choose between 'Force Close' or 'Wait', I tried to choose force close. However, nothing happens, the button couldn't be tapped (it's a screen touch). The same happened when I tried to tap 'Wait'. I left it like that for minutes, but nothing happened. So I tried to turn off the phone, but it couldn't be done as well.
I wanted to pull out the battery, but I can't, because if i did that, I will lose the guarantee. And it's been an hour since then, but my phone still shows the 'Sorry! Process.com.android.phone is not responding.' message. I can't do anything as I can't even access the 'menu'.

Please help me, what have I done wrong and how to solve it?

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
I'm sure it's too late for the OP but after trying everything to fix this problem & endlessly searching the net I eventually figured out it was actually my old, out of date SIM card.

It's something to do with the card being not fully 3G or early 3G. Anyway once I got my provider (Vodafone IE) to give me a shiny, new SIM - problem solved.

I had been running fine on CM7 it was only when I flashed the ROM to Ginger Stir Fry (& Blue Ginger too) that it started.

Hope this helps. Let me know on Twitter if it does @emcg53

Upvote 0
fohlin: I have experienced the same problem and reported the bug. Google engineers say the bug is known and relates to SIM application toolkit support.

For details look at the bug report at: Issue 1864 - android - Unlocking SIM card crashes com.android.phone (StkActivity not found) - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

I haven't found any workaround yet. Let us know if you have found a way around this.

I got this same problem after loading the v2.3 update to my HTC Inspire.
HTC & ATT are replacing my phone under warranty. [I've posted my story in the Inspire forum here. I don't know how to share that link.]

From what I'm reading, it might be that a replacement phone won't help with this problem. Might a replacement SIM card help things?

Upvote 0
I got this same problem after loading the v2.3 update to my HTC Inspire.
HTC & ATT are replacing my phone under warranty. [I've posted my story in the Inspire forum here. I don't know how to share that link.]

From what I'm reading, it might be that a replacement phone won't help with this problem. Might a replacement SIM card help things?
After numerous messsages com.android.phone not responding on my HTC Desire, I finally got it solved by removing my phone security app: Esset Mobile. I had read that an app can do that to your phone. You just have to go through your apps and check.
I also had tried removing the battery and Sim card, but the fix did not last long. So far, only the removal of that app has worked.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones